-

-

ND Women’s Golf: Young talent promises success on links

Isaac Lorton | Thursday, August 23, 2012

As the Irish begin their fall season, they will be joined by two of the top high school players in the nation. Notre Dame hauled in two top-10 recruits this year – freshmen Lindsey Weaver and Talia Campbell. Irish coach Susan Holt has high hopes in these two recruits. Weaver will be bringing with her a 59 par-18 score and U.S. Women’s Open experience.

On Feb. 22 at a PING Junior Interclub match, Weaver (the No. 3 recruit in the nation) became the second woman golfer after Annika Sorenstam to shoot a 59 in a round of golf. Over the summer, Weaver became one of four Notre Dame women golfers to participate in the U.S. Women’s Open.

“One of my greatest accomplishments in high school was shooting a 59,” Weaver said. “After that, playing in the U.S. Open was a great accomplishment.

“The U.S. Open taught me the importance of course management.”

Campbell was named a 2011 Hewlett-Packard Scholastic All-American and a 2011 AJGA Rolex Junior All-American, as well becoming a three-time AJGA champion and quarterfinalist in the 2011 US Girls Junior Championship.Weaver and Campbell recognize strengths and weaknesses.

“My strengths are putting and ball-striking,” Weaver said. “My weakness is bunker play.”

Campbell also cited ball-striking as a strength.

“Ball-striking is at the core of my game,” Campbell said. “If my short game was a little stronger, then I would actually be able to take advantage of those opportunities.”

Many top recruits do not choose a school in the Midwest, preferring a school in the West or South. However, Weaver holds Notre Dame in high regards.

“Nothing compared to Notre Dame’s campus and facilities,” Weaver said. “Once I visited for the first time, I instantly fell in love with the school and the many traditions associated with it.”

On the other hand, Campbell, (America’s No. 9 recruit) has long dreamed of being part of the Irish community.

“To represent Notre Dame as a student-athlete is a dream come true,” Campbell said. “The athletic tradition of Notre Dame combined with the outstanding academic curriculum is unrivaled. Also, coach Holt and [assistant coach Kyle Lynne Veltri] are the best role models and coaches that any player can have.”

Both Weaver and Campbell are looking forward to this season.

“We will have a strong team this year,” Campbell said. “Our team has phenomenal chemistry and a tremendous amount of talent. We all have very high expectations.”

“We will grow in our game and improve in all aspects,” Weaver said. “There will be enthusiasm and team spirit.”

The freshman power duo of Weaver and Campbell will first compete for the Irish at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich., on Sept. 15-16.

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu