Biggest Winners of the 2012 Emmys

Sunday night's Emmy Awards were all about "Modern Family" and "Homeland." The Emmy-favorite family comedy maintained its winning streak with four golden statues, while hit drama "Homeland" surprised everyone by taking home five awards.

What awards did these two shows win? Let's go one by one.

Since its premiere in 2009, "Modern Family" has become one of TV's most popular and successful comedies. It tells the story of Jay Pritchett (Ed O'Neill), his second wife, his stepson, his two children and their respective families. Each family's storylines and interactions are smart, witty and, most importantly, very funny. After three seasons and a new one coming up in 2013, viewers have fallen in love with all the show's entertaining characters and can't wait for more.

"Modern Family" began its Emmy reign in 2010, and it has all been uphill from there. Last year, the show won a total of four Emmys, including the awards best comedy series and best supporting actor.

Again this year, the show took home four golden statues, for some of the same categories as in 2011. Julie Bowen won the Emmy for best supporting actress in a comedy series for her role as Claire for the second year in a row, and cast mate Eric Stonestreet won for best supporting actor in a comedy series for his role as Cam.

"Modern Family" also won Emmys this year for direction in a comedy series and outstanding comedy series, proving for the third year in a row that it's the best sitcom in town.

"Homeland" premiered in 2011 and, with the start of its second season in September 2012, has only gotten more popular. The drama follows the story of a CIA agent, who believes that a U.S. Marine captured by Al-Qaeda has become a terrorist and now threatens the United States.

Hit drama "Mad Men" had occupied the Emmys' best drama series category for four consecutive years and was expected to win again this year. However, "Homeland" surprised everyone by winning five golden statues for drama.

The show took home the Emmys for writing in a drama series, directing in a drama series, best actor in a drama series (Damian Lewis), best actress in a drama series (Claire Danes) and outstanding drama series.

Although "Modern Family" and "Homeland" ran the show, there were other big winners worth noting. "Game Change," a movie on John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign, won four Emmys in the miniseries/movie category.