Carpe Dome-em

Here it is. The once a year (okay, more like once every few weeks) nostalgic "do it while you can!" letter. But seriously, people. You know that event your dorm is hosting you think sounds kind of cool? Go to it! Stop making excuses. Wake up from your nap, drag your best friend with you, just go to the events and activities that you keep talking about. Your time here is limited. Make the best of it.

I can say all of this with the utmost confidence because here I am in my "victory lap" becoming a Double Domer. Yeah, it is still as much of a surprise to me as it is to everyone I see on campus who says, "What are you still doing here?!"

After graduation in May, I was in a state of denial about not returning to Notre Dame. It seemed surreal that I would never again experience game day as a student or sing the alma mater arm in arm with my classmates. It is the little moments like this that you will miss most of all. Embrace them. (Literally.)

So, what am I still doing here? Good question. I am getting my Masters of Science in the ESTEEM program in a last minute decision. (I'm talking committed five days before orientation started.) I just couldn't stay away, and I am so happy with my decision. For those of you as undecided about your future as I am, it is okay! Take a minute to breathe.Everything is going to work out.

This may seem like a meaningless post, but I swear it has a point. The point is this: The time is now. Not tomorrow, not next year. NOW. Go to the soccer game. Stay up late for a quarter dog. See the hypnotist show. Attend a free concert at Legends even if you don't know the band. Head over to Main Building for Drummer's Circle. Check off your bucket list now because your time at Notre Dame is going to run out before you can even believe it. Not everyone is going to get a second chance, but I swear I am going to do it right this time. Take advantage of everything and everyone around you while it lasts.

With that said...

Go Irish! Beat Boilermakers!

Kelly Kraus
graduate student
off campus
Sept. 4