Council discusses student life

During its first meeting Friday afternoon, the Campus Life Council (CLC) discussed several aspects of student life including dorm alcohol policies and mental health.

Judicial Council president Michael Thomas said the new rector of Stanford Hall is enforcing a stricter alcohol policy in the dorm this year.

"Stanford has done a 180-degree switch in alcohol policy," Thomas said.

The council also discussed the fairness of excluding undergraduate students from scholarly lectures and activities because alcohol is present for faculty and upperclassmen.

The council also discussed the mental health resources available for students.

Junior John Vernon said the group PILLARS, which stands for "Peers Inspiring Listening, Learning, and Responsible Socializing," focuses on student health and related issues such as lack of sleep.

Chief of staff Katie Baker said there is also a committee on campus that is dedicated to the examination of students at risk of dropping out of Notre Dame. One aspect of the committee's job includes speaking to the student's professors and rector in order to better assess the obstacles that may cause the student's departure.

"The panel has never been made public," Baker said. "It's a really important resource that should be publicized."

As the council members discussed the year ahead, Morrissey Manor rector Fr. Ron Vierling referenced the cutback in University services that came at the same time as a price increase in room and board.

Vierling said one housekeeping staff covers four buildings on the weekends, and there has not been an increase in the number of workers being hired.

"Cost cutting is impacting the quality of student life," Fr. Ron said.