Dance Marathon drive kicks off

The Saint Mary's Dance Marathon may not take place until March, but fundraising efforts will kick off Thursday with the help of local favorite Let's Spoon Frozen Yogurt.

The Dance Marathon raises funds and awareness for the young patients of Riley Hospital for Children throughout the school year. The marathon engages the College and surrounding community in support of Riley's mission, said Amy Tiberi, Dance Marathon president.

Tiberi said she is excited to host Give Back Night at the local yogurt shop, which will contribute 20 percent of sales from customers presenting a voucher.

"Let's Spoon has been a great local business to work with and we greatly appreciate their support," she said. "Just printing off our flier at smcdancemarathon.com and bringing it to the store will benefit our cause of helping the Riley Hospital for Children."

Senior Taylor Romens, a returning participant of the Dance Marathon, felt the choice of venue was ideal for the hot summer months.

"I think that Let's Spoon's involvement with Dance Marathon is a great way to give back to the community while also promoting their product," Romens said. "It is still pretty hot outside, so cooling off with a nice cup of frozen yogurt while giving back is a great way to end the summer nights."

Tiberi said she hopes to build off the marathon's past successes.

"Entering our eighth year is a really great accomplishment in itself," she said. "We have now raised over $460,000 to date."

Tiberi said she hoped the charitable cause would draw interest from Notre Dame as well as the College's campus.

"One of our goals for this year is to have more involvement from Notre Dame and to continue to spread awareness across the campuses," Tiberi said. "I personally hope that everyone on campus can identify with our cause to support Riley Hospital for Children and recognize that nights like Give Back Night and Marathon Night are for more than just dancing on campus."

Tiberi said the marathon offers the Indiana community more than financial support.

"We are doing this for kids all over the state of Indiana," she said. "That is why Dance Marathon is such a special organization, because it reaches the lives of many and fills many more with hope."