DPAC to host election debate

Three candidates for Indiana governor will take the stage at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center on Oct. 17 for the second of three scheduled gubernatorial debates, the University announced Tuesday in a press release.

Democrat John Gregg, Republican Mike Pence and Libertarian Rupert Boneham are slated to appear at the debate, where they will field questions submitted in advance by Indiana residents, the release stated.

Timothy Sexton, associate vice president for public affairs, said in the statement the debate would be an extension of the University's campus engagement efforts.

"One of the great benefits that a university offers to its community is to bring prominent people to campus for lectures and other presentations that are open to the public," Sexton said. "We have always tried to do that here at Notre Dame with political, business, religious, educational and other leaders, and we are certainly happy to be selected to host one of the gubernatorial debates this fall."

The debate will be streamed live from the Indiana Debate Commission's website, where the commission will also be accepting question submissions, the release stated.

The two other gubernatorial debates will take place on Oct. 10 in Zionsville and Oct. 25 in Fort Wayne.