Fall TV Preview

Glee

"Glee" returned on a high note for its fourth season on Sept 13. FOX's glee club drama will follow both students at McKinley High in Lima, Ohio, and former glee club members who have now graduated. This season, viewers will follow fan favorites like Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) as they take on college life. Though "Glee" may be taking a risk in reducing the screen presence of certain staple characters such as Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron) and Emma Pillsbury (Jayma Mays), they may attract new viewers with the addition of new characters played by well-known actresses such as Kate Hudson (as dance teacher Cassandra July) and Sarah Jessica Parker (as mentor to Kurt Hummel at Vogue). It looks like the curtain won't be closing on "Glee" just yet.

Boardwalk Empire

Following a drama-filled Season Two finale with a shock ending that will forever change the show, fans have been chomping at the bit to see what Nucky Thompson, played by the incomparable Steve Buscemi, will be up to in the third season of "Boardwalk Empire." The new season is especially compelling now that Thompson seems to have, ironically perhaps, taken his former protégé's advice that a man in those times "can't be a half-gangster."

For those unfamiliar with the HBO drama, the show follows a cast of characters in Prohibition-era Atlantic City, headed by Thompson as the city's corrupt treasurer and crime boss. The show also stars familiar faces such as Michael Shannon, Michael Kenneth Williams and Gretchen Mol. The latest season stars premiered Sept. 16, and airs on HBO Sundays at 9 p.m.

Parenthood

Last season ended with a slew of interesting developments in the Braverman family that should make for a great season. Crosby and Jasmine are finally married after a long, complicated separation. Sarah is engaged to her much younger boyfriend Mark, despite the fact that she doesn't want to have any more children. Adam and Kristina's daughter Haddie has just gone off to college at Cornell (making for a heart-wrenching first episode this season). Julia and Joel have just adopted a seven-year-old boy named Victor after being denied the adoption of a newborn baby whose mother they grew attached to (akin to the situation in "Juno"). This season has a new guest star, Ray Romano, who plays a socially awkward photographer that Sarah starts working for, making for a potential love triangle.

The Office

It's one of the most beloved comedy shows of our generation, but it seems the mockumentary crew finally has enough footage. Entering its ninth and final season, "The Office" looks a little different than it did at the start of the series. Steve Carell's role of Michael Scott is no more. Jim, played by John Krasinski, will have scaled-down screen time in order to make room for his film schedule, as will Andy, played by Ed Helms. Kelly Kapoor, played by Mindy Kaling, will also be rarely seen this season, as Kaling works on her new show, "The Mindy Project."

But Greg Daniels, who originally developed and the series before moving on to "Parks and Recreation," promises that fans will be able to see quite a few familiar faces spread throughout the goodbye season, and as many as 15 former cast members are expected to make returns to the show at different points.

Grey's Anatomy

"Grey's Anatomy" probably had one of the most randomly traumatic end-of-the season cliffhangers. But ABC promises that season nine will be "the most dramatic season yet." This may be hard to believe for this hospital soap opera on steroids, but the writers have really upped the ante. Half the cast was in a plane crash, one of the best characters is dead and help is nowhere in sight. Those left behind at Seattle Grace Hospital continue merrily along, worrying about trivial things such as job interviews and dates gone awry, and are none the wiser about their friends and family struggling to survive. Thursday nights will once again be filled with beautiful people saving each other's lives, one unpredictable disaster after another.

Parks and Recreation

This season of "Parks and Recreation" looks to build on a strong Season Four with Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) winning her election for city council. Season Five features a few big-name politicians with Senators John McCain, Olympia Snowe and Barbara Boxer featured as Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott) begins his work in Washington. Meanwhile at the parks department, Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) will continue mentoring Andy (Chris Pratt) through the Police Academy, and hopefully Chris (Rob Lowe) will have a happier season than the last being turned down by every woman he met. Parks and Rec premieres September 20 at 9:30pm on NBC.