Monday, May 13, 2024

Men's Basketball: Top prospect commits to ND

A year after hauling in the nation's No. 21 recruiting class, Irish coach Mike Brey's 2013 class got a big boost Thursday evening when point guard Demetrius Jackson committed to Notre Dame.

Jackson, a four-star prospect from Mishawaka Marian, chose the Irish over Illinois after initially considering Kansas as well.
He was supposed to announce his decision Thursday evening live on ESPNU but ESPN mistakenly posted a video commenting on Jackson's commitment to Notre Dame. The video was later removed.

Jackson, the No. 27 high school player in the nation, is a 6-foot-1, 185-pound guard who can create off the dribble and open up opportunities for teammates with his passing. Jackson will join a formidable backcourt in 2013-14 that will include guards Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant.

Jackson becomes the second major recent South Bend-area basketball product to play for Notre Dame - joining women's senior guard SkylarDiggins.

This season, the Irish welcome Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year Cameron Biedscheid along with forwards Zach Auguste and Austin Burgett. Brey has already landed commitments from Indiana small forward V.J. Beachem and Pennsylvania shooting guard Steve Vasturia for the 2013 class.

The Irish return all five starters from last year's 22-win squad and could challenge for a Big East title after finishing the regular season third in 2012.