ND Theatre NOW opens FTT season

The Department of Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) presents "ND Theatre NOW!," a showcase of student theatre, this week at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC).

The show, which features two plays written, directed and acted by Notre Dame students, spawned from a playwriting class taught in the spring by Professor Anne García-Romero when students wrote their own short plays. Two plays from that class have been chosen for full performances in DPAC

The first play, "SHE," written by junior RenéeRoden, follows three teenage girls over the course of one day as they interact in the bathroom. Roden explains the choice of setting is because teenage girls are often times most vulnerable with each other in the bathroom ¾ it's a space of privacy and intimacy between friends unrivaled by any other.

The story deals with topics directly affecting many girls, including relationships, body image issues and communications, and the destructive ways in which those issues can be handled.

The second play, "Sinopean," written by senior Daniel García de Paredes, is a surrealist drama that follows an aristocratic couple trying to host a dinner party, but instead are invaded by strangers. García de Paredes describes the play as a critique on people's inability to be honest with each other, preferring to hold on to unnecessary notions of being polite rather than telling the whole truth.

The story is absurdist, as time is in flux and the meaning of many elements of the plot is readily obvious at first.

The show, which begins tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Philbin Studio Theatre at DPAC, runs approximately 90 minutes long. Student tickets are $5. Tickets and further showtime information can be found on the DPAC website, performingarts.nd.edu.

Contact Kevin Noonan at knoonan2@nd.edu