Segregation at the Tabernacle

Johnny Whichard | Monday, September 3, 2012

Heal, “Unify” and Enlighten?

Last year, we saw the three words “Heal, Unify and Enlighten” show up all over campus. While I question what Fr. Jenkins was referring to with “healing” (I hope he meant something to do with the goals of the Center for Social Concerns) and the “enlighten” term seems grossly condescending, the word “unify” has had me thinking. Does Notre Dame strive for unity in its student body?

After reading Fr. Corpora’s “One Eucharist, many expressions” (Aug. 29), I have to say that Notre Dame has a long way to go in “unifying” its campus. Hosting retreats and/or Masses for specific races is a sheep in wolf’s clothing. While the intentions behind these events may have been pure of heart, the concept is by definition the most racist thing I have ever heard of on this campus. By focusing incoming freshmen on their race, we are not “unifying” them with the rest of campus. Until Notre Dame stops classifying its students by race or orientation, the campus will have problems. We, as Notre Dame, are not made up of “white students,” “black students,” “gay students,” etc. No. We are Notre Dame. Segregation at the Tabernacle needs to stop.

Johnny Whichard
Sorin College
Sept. 2