SMC Golf: No. 1 team to visit Saint Mary's

After a successful preseason showing by the young team, Saint Mary's prepares to face off against some of the best teams in Division III as it hosts the O'Brien National Invitational at Warren Golf Course.

Belles coach Mark Hamilton said Saint Mary's traditionally invites the top-10 teams from the previous year.

"The traditional powers who come every year will be there, along with a few newcomers," Hamilton said. "It will be the most competition we see all fall."

On the first day of competition, the Belles will be paired up against the No. 1 Division III team in the country, Methodist University, the reigning national champion. Other top competition includes DePauw, Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Centre College, and George Fox University.

Hamilton said he is looking forward to seeing how his team will perform against difficult competition.

"We really seem to be peaking at the right time," Hamilton said. "We're a young team. In our top five, [freshman] Claire Boyle has been playing very solidly. [Freshman] Amanda Graham was our low scorer for our last tournament. I expect everyone in our top five to perform well."

Rounding out that top five is sophomore Janice Heffernan, junior Justine Bresnahan and freshman Sammie Averill, all of whom participated in the Anderson Invitational on Sept. 1.