SMC Volleyball: Belles fall at home to Calvin

By Nick Boyle | Thursday, September 27, 2012

Saint Mary’s endured a sweep in its games against No. 2 Calvin Wednesday evening, falling to 3-0 at home to the conference foe (25-15, 25-23, 25-16).

Though the Belles (8-8, 4-4 MIAA) failed to win a set, the home team competed well against Calvin (14-1, 7-0), Belles coach Toni Kuschel said.

“I thought we played well against a great team,” Kuschel said. 

“I thought our serve receive and serving was exceptional.”

The visitors jumped out to an early lead in the first set, and never looked back. Saint Mary’s fought hard in the second game, but ultimately dropped a close set. 

“I thought we had a lot of great intensity during the second set.” Kuschel said. “We were able to go point for point and hit .324 during that set.”

Kuschel was quick to give her players praise for a tough fought battle, even in defeat.

“Having a first-year Katie Hecklinski have a double-double with 11 kills and 11 digs was so great to see,” Kuschel said. “[Sophomore] Taylor Etzell also did a great job up at the net.”

Though the Belles competed hard on Wednesday, Kuschel said she hopes her team can pick up their play even more in upcoming matches.

“We feel good about the way we played, however, we know that we can play better and with more intensity,” Kuschel said.

Kuschel said her team will learn from this experience, and come back

stronger in their next match.

“We will need to use what we learned this evening and continue to get better,” Kuschel said.

Saint Mary’s has a break until Tuesday when it travels to Hope College to continue conference play.

Contact Nick Boyle at nboyle1@nd.edu