Tuesday, May 14, 2024

SMC Volleyball: Kalamazoo comes to town

Coming off a disappointing tournament performance, Saint Mary's hopes to bounce back when conference rival Kalamazoo visits South Bend tonight.

Though they were swept at Carthage this weekend, the Belles (6-5, 2-1 MIAA) are currently riding a two-game conference winning streak, and hope they can keep up their momentum against the visiting Hornets (3-10, 0-4 MIAA).

"We had a very tough weekend, but we prepared well and we are looking forward to getting to play a tough confrence team," Belles coach Toni Kuschel said. "We want all of our hard work to pay off [tonight]."

Kalamazoo has struggled to start off the season, setlosing 10 of its first 13 matches. They are also still looking for their first conference win.

Though Kalamazoo has struggled to start the season, Kuschel does not write the visitors off as an easy victory.

"Kalamazoo is a very tough confrence team. They have a balanced attack and a fast offense," Kuschel said. "Our blockers will need to play tough and disciplined at the net and we will need go out and play our best volleyball that we are capable of."

Despite Kalamazoo's recent struggles, Kuschel knows her team must play together if it wants to be victorious against the visiting Hornets.

"It takes all six players out on the court playing to the best of there ability for us to be able to win," Kuschel said. "We are very young team with a lot of talent."

Kuschel believes her whole team must take on a leadership role if they want to be successful tonight.

"There is not one player that I look to [for leadership] in order to win. I look to the whole team," Kuschel said.

Saint Marys will take on Kalamazoo tonight at 7 p.m.