-

-

Women’s Interhall: McGlinn improves to 3-1 in 19-7 win over Ryan

Observer Sports Writers | Tuesday, September 25, 2012

McGlinn 19, Ryan 7
By MARY GREEN
Sports Writer

Under the bright lights of Riehle Field on Monday night, McGlinn senior quarterback Emily Golden shone, as she led her team to a 19-7 victory over Ryan.

Though McGlinn’s first drive concluded with an end-zone interception, the Shamrocks (3-1) rebounded with Golden’s 38-yard rushing touchdown on the first play of its second drive, which gave it an early 6-0 lead.

“[Golden] did awesome,” Shamrocks sophomore receiver Emma Collis said. “Her runs just really held us together.”

The main contributor to the Shamrocks’ offense, Golden ran for 123 yards and threw for 30 yards. Collis rushed for 55 yards to round out the Shamrocks’ dynamic one-two punch.

McGlinn’s early lead was not secure for long, though. At the beginning of the second half, Ryan senior quarterback Maya Pillai ran the ball five times for 39 yards, capped by a 4-yard rushing touchdown that gave the Wildcats (2-1) a 7-6 advantage.

“We never backed down when we got down, and we played hard until the very end,” Pillai said.

The Shamrocks surged back, aided by rushing scores from Golden and Collis and a crucial, late turnover-on-downs by the Ryan offense. The Wildcats made a final comeback attempt with one minute remaining, highlighted by junior receiver Maddie Swan’s 28-yard catch that put Ryan in the red zone., A McGlinn defender batted down Pillai’s final Hail-Mary heave, however, to close out the game for the Shamrocks.

“Everyone just came out and played hard and played like a team today to get the win,” Collis said.

The Shamrocks will take their 3-1 record into their Oct. 7 matchup with Welsh Family, while Ryan will look to earn a win against Pangborn on Sunday.

Contact Mary Green at mgreen8@nd.edu

Welsh Family 20, Pangborn 12

By RICH HIDY
Sports Writer

In a defensive duel Monday night, Welsh Family held off Pangborn to earn a 20-12 victory.

Welsh Family (2-1) struck first, scoring on a touchdown pass by senior quarterback Victoria Moreno to take a 7-0 lead.
Pangborn (2-1) responded with a touchdown of its own, as a scramble by sophomore quarterback Caitlin Gargan made the score 7-6.

Just before the half, senior receiver Meredith Angell made a spectacular touchdown catch, doing a split and then diving into the end zone, to give Pangborn a 12-7 lead.

The second half was a defensive struggle, as the teams traded possessions. Welsh Family’s offense broke through midway through the half, as a touchdown pass by Moreno put the Whirlwinds up 14-12.

With Pangborn driving late in the game, Welsh Family made an interception at the two- minute mark before sealing the deal with another touchdown to make its lead 20-12.. “We thrive on playing close games,” Moreno said. They are more fun for us and our defense made a huge interception.”

Moreno said Welsh Family was pleased to defeat a strong opponent.

“Pangborn was one of the toughest opponents we faced but this was one of the first times both our offense and defense played fantastic,” Moreno said.

Despite the loss, Angell said Pangborn would keep a positive attitude.

“I really think we played well today as a team,” Angell said. “We just had a couple of off plays on both sides of the ball that held us back.”

Pangborn will look forward to a tough matchup with Ryan next week.

“We need to just sharpen things up,” Angell said. “We are playing Ryan and they have some tall receivers, so we need to stick with them on defense and have our corners make big plays.”

Pangborn will face Ryan on Sunday while Welsh Family will look to continue its winning ways against Pasquerilla East.

Contact Rich Hidy at rhidy@nd.edu

Badin 33, Howard 18

By KYLE FOLEY
Sports Writer

In Tuesday’s battle for the pond, the Bullfrogs emerged victorious, beating the Ducks 33-18 in an offensive shootout.

Despite being shutout in its first two games, Badin (1-2) came out with a revamped offense that picked apart the Howard secondary.

The Bullfrogs set the offensive tone early, as senior quarterback Carli Fernandez completed a 40-yard pass to senior receiver Ashley Okonta. Fernandez then found Okonta on a 5-yard pass for the game’s first touchdown.

Okonta scored three more touchdowns in the first half, which was highlighted by an unstoppable quarterback-option attack and Fernandez’s accuracy through the air.

“We stuck to a couple plays we knew and ran them really well,” Okonta said. “This improved our overall composure.”

Junior defensive back Kelly Harmon led the Badin defense with an interception and multiple tackles at the line. Her performance helped the Bullfrogs hold firmly to a 26-6 lead at the half.

Starting the second half, the Ducks (1-2) came out of the huddle with an edge not seen in the first half.

A quick interception set up a touchdown pass to freshman receiver Ashley Henry for her second score of the game. Soon after, junior quarterback Clare Robinson connected with sophomore receiver Claire Kozlowski for another score.

Despite the late rally from Howard, another Okonta touchdown gave Badin the 33-18 lead and squashed Ducks’ comeback.

Despite the loss, the Ducks were pleased with their bench players.

“I like the depth of our team.” Robinson said, “We had a lot of new players trying out different positions, and we just have to work out the kinks.”

Howard looks to make these adjustments when it squares off against Walsh on Sunday, while Badin hopes to continue its offensive dominance against Breen-Phillips the same day.

Contact Kyle Foley at kfloey2@nd.edu

Pasquerilla West 18, Walsh 12

By KIT LOUGHRAN
Sports Writer

In a tough defensive showdown Tuesday night, Pasquerilla West pulled out a tight 18-12 victory over Walsh.
Pasquerilla West (2-0) relied on a strong defensive unit, which kept the Walsh offense at bay. The Wild Women (1-2) fought right back, as they slowed the Purple Weasel offense and
penetrated their defense.

With a total of five interceptions between the teams, defense dominated the game and opened up opportunities for both offenses.

In the first half, Pasquerilla West junior linebacker Brianne Toole ran an interception back for the Purple Weasels’ second touchdown of the game. Soon after, Walsh sophomore safety Molly Johnson intercepted a pass intended for the end zone.

“Our defense came out strong,” Pasquerilla West senior defensive lineman Meghan Schmitt said.

Players from both teams said they were impressed with the quality of the defenses in Tuesday’s contest.

“Our defense was phenomenal as usual,” Walsh senior quarterback Kat Leach said. “They put a lot of pressure on our opponent and stayed tight on their girls.”

Although defense was the story of the game, Leach said she was impressed with Walsh’s offense.

“Offense is coming together really well,” Leach said. “We cleaned up our routes, and we had some great catches today.”

Late in the first half, Leach connected with sophomore receiver Kathleen Hough in the end zone for the Wild Women’s first
touchdown.

Leach found Hough and sophomore receiver Maddie Loper on several other passes, which helped the Wild Women move the ball.

On the other side, sophomore quarterback Lauren Vidal opened up the field for Pasquerilla West with her rushing prowess, and connected on several key passes to her receivers.

“Our offense was really good,” Schmitt said. “We connected on a lot of key passes.”

Pasquerilla West looks to remain undefeated when it faces Cavanaugh on Sunday, while Walsh hopes to secure a win against Howard the same day.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu