Women's Interhall: Pasquerilla West meets Walsh in week two

Pasquerilla West vs. Walsh

By Kit Loughran

Sports Writer

With week one in the books, the Purple Weasels and Wild Women face off Tuesday in what looks to be a tough defensive battle.

The Pasquerilla West (1-0) is looking to build off their opening-weekend 14-0 victory over Bullfrogs, and Walsh (0-1) is hoping to move forward after their 7-0 loss against Cavanaugh.

Both teams place particular focus on the defensive side of the ball for this matchup, as each team debuted a strong defensive unit Sunday.

"Badin only got five first-downs [against us]," Pasquerilla West senior captain and defensive lineman Meghan Schmitt said. "We were able to hold them on downs consistently."

Heading into their next game, the Purple Weasels plan to give another strong effort against the Walsh offense.

"Our biggest strategy is for our defense to be adaptable and be that defense [the opposition] can't get past," Schmitt said.

Pasquerilla West will also look to feature its offensive passing game under the guidance of sophomore quarterback Lauren Vidal, Schmitt said.

Coming off a tough loss, Walsh is thirsting for victory. Even though the Wild Women lost, their defensive game was strong Sunday, Walsh senior co-captain and quarterback Kat Leach said.

"[The] defense had an amazing game," Leach said. "Our defense came in fired up and had some great stops."

With their defensive unit set and ready to go, the Wild Women will look to improve their offense, which suffered a shutout against Cavanaugh.

"We are working to clean up our offense and put some serious points on the board," Leach said.

With the help of sophomore receivers Maddie Loper and Kathleen Hough, Walsh looks to keep the ball moving forward, Leach said.

Before squaring off with the Purple Weasels, the Wild Women challenge Breen-Philips on Sunday.

Pasquerilla West and Walsh will face off at 7 p.m. at the LaBar Practice Fields on Tuesday.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu

Badin vs. Howard

By Kyle Foley 

Sports Writer

Badin and Howard square off Tuesday in a game that could either prove Howard's legitimacy as a title contender or turn around Badin's shaky start to the season.

Hot off a 20-0 victory over the Lyonites on Sunday, the Ducks (1-0) look to keep the momentum going against the defensively-oriented Bullfrogs (0-1).

Against Lyons, Howard graduate student coach Dan Scheper said he was pleased with his offense, although he did see room for improvement.

"We need to improve the overall precision of our passing attack, meaning better route running and better timing," Scheper said. "I've made some additions to the playbook, geared towards creating more big plays on offense."

Despite the changes made to the offense, establishing a sound defense early in the season is still Howard's chief priority, Scheper said.

After a solid performance in week one, Scheper said the Ducks are eyeing the championship.

"We want to get back to the Stadium and play for the championship." Scheper said.

The Bullfrogs are still in search of their first win after a season-opening loss to Pasquerilla West.

After being shut out in the opener, the Bullfrogs hope to kick start a struggling offense against Howard.

"In terms of improving on our last game, our offense needed a little more streamlining and for us to put in some new plays, which we are currently working on," senior captain and quarterback Tommasina Domel said. "We are definitely very excited for our matchup against Howard and ready to show them what we can do offensively."

A revamped Bullfrog offense will take on a Duck defense that has yet to allow points on this year in a battle for the pond. Kickoff is Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Riehle Fields at Stepan.

Contact Kyle Foley at kfoley2@nd.edu

Ryan vs. Welsh Family
By Greg Hadley

Sports Writer

Two unbeaten rivals will match up Sunday when Ryan takes on Welsh Family with both defenses at the focus of the contest.

Ryan (1-0) cruised to a 27-7 victory over Farley in its opener last week. Senior quarterback and captain Maya Pillai credited the defense for setting the tone early in the victory, citing an interception by junior cornerback Sara McGuirk as a highlight. However, Pillai said she knows the Whirlwinds (1-0) will pose a significant challenge.

"We do have a lot to work on from last game," Pillai said.

Still, Pillai said she remains confident in her team's chances due to its wealth of experience, as over half the team is upperclassmen.

The Whirlwinds also boast an impressive defense, and the unit held the Chicks scoreless in their first game. Senior quarterback and captain Victoria Moreno said she would like the defense to keep up the stifling pressure it displayed in its first game, but admitted that improvements could be made.

"There were some kinks from the first game," Moreno said.

In order for the defense to be well rested, Moreno said Welsh Family needs to see progress from the offense, which has many underclassmen. To do this, Moreno will look to senior receiver Kirsten Groody to keep the passing game strong while the ground game builds up.

Both captains said they think the game has all the potential to be a great rivalry, due to the close proximity of the dorms.

"That's something we'd like to see down the line," Pillai said of the possible rivalry.

For Moreno, it isn't just about how close the two dorms are.

"The beat us pretty handily last year, so we're looking for some redemption," Moreno said.

Welsh Family and Ryan will play Sunday at 4 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Contact Greg Hadley at ghadley@nd.edu

Breen-Phillips vs. Walsh

Although the season is young, both the Wild Women and the Babes already face adversity as they head into their matchup Sunday.

Walsh (0-1) suffered a 7-0 defeat over the weekend to Cavanaugh, while Breen-Phillips (0-0) saw their game against Pasquerilla West postponed for poor field conditions. For both squads, these events have added extra significance to their upcoming game.

For Walsh, the sting of defeat is still fresh, but senior captain Lindy Navarre was quick to point out that her team would not be haunted by the loss.

"Overall, our team spirit is strong. ... We're looking forward to bouncing back and showing everyone our new team," Navarre said.

Navarre emphasized there were many positives to take away from the opening game. She cited the strong play of the defensive line, anchored by seniors Alex Meyer, Jen Rawding and Alyssa Casill. These three linemen will try to lead the charge in keeping pressure on the Babes' quarterback.

Breen-Phillips, on the other hand, is eager to finally start its season. Junior linebacker Molly Toner said she is encouraged by both the large contingent of freshmen and their excitement for the first game.

"We're trying to build a strong foundation for the future," Toner said.

To generate offense, the Babes will look to a young offensive line to step up and produce in not only blocking but also in catching and running the ball. Defensively, the Babes have a bit more experience than on offense, but they will still look to their freshmen cornerbacks to step up and make plays.

The Wild Women and the Babes will play Sunday at 5 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Pangborn vs. McGlinn

By Dong-Hyun Kim

Sports Writer

The undefeated squads of McGlinn and Pangborn will battle in a tough game Sunday.

McGlinn (2-0) will enter the game with great momentum, but the defending champions feel they have not yet played up to their potential. The addition of many young players has changed the Shamrocks' team chemistry, which looked to spell trouble for them at the start of the season. With two wins under their belt though, the Shamrocks feel confident they can reach the caliber of last year's team.

"We have a lot of freshmen, making it a completely different team," McGlinn senior quarterback Emily Golden said. "We just need more practice and repetition."

Although Pangborn (1-0) is only one game into the season , the Phoxes feel confident they can tackle the Shamrocks. Pangborn posted a shutout against Farley last Sunday, defeating the Finest 20-0.  

Sophomore quarterback Caitlin Gargan has excelled at her position and demonstrated leadership for the team. Gargan's play represents a positive change for the Phoxes, who previously rotated different quarterbacks and had problems with restructuring their offense. Senior wide receiver Meredith Angell, who scored a critical touchdown against Farley, is the Phoxes' strongest receiver and will look to feed off Gargan's strong arm. 

"Caitlin plays with great athletic instincts," Pangborn senior captain and center Colleen Bailey said. "You wouldn't know she's a sophomore."

Both teams will look stay undefeated when they meet Sunday at 5 p.m. at LaBar Fields..

Pasquerilla East vs. Lewis

Pasquerilla East will play Lewis on Sunday in a battle of two teams fighting for a much-needed win.

Both teams suffered shutout losses in their openers. Pasquerilla East (0-1) lost to McGlinn 8-0, and Lewis (0-2) fell to Welsh Family 12-0 on Sunday before dropping a 7-6 heartbreaker to McGlinn the following day.

Lewis and Pasquerilla East will look to end their losing streaks in Sunday's matchup. For Lewis, Sunday's matchup will provide a good look at the team's development. Despite their initial loss to Welsh Family, the strong showing in a tough game against defending champions McGlinn encouraged the Lewis squad.

A key player from Lewis' first games was senior linebacker Mara Catlaw, who helped contain McGlinn to seven points. Lewis senior quarterback Connaught Blood said Lewis recently met with its offensive coordinator to adjust the offense for the game against the Pyros.

"[Our team consists of] a bunch of freshman and seniors, so we are pretty young," Blood said. "But Lewis football is all about smart adjustments."

On the other side, Pasquerilla East will look to improve its offense and defense by game day. Junior running back Kiah Schaefbauer will be key to the Pyros offense and freshman lineman Colleen Pinkelman will help anchor the defensive line, Pyros senior captain and safety Anna Perino.

"What's most important is building our own game," Perino said. "I think Sunday will be a good challenge."

The Pyros and Chicks will play Sunday at 4:00 PM at LaBar Fields.

Contact  Dong-Hyun Kim at dkim16@nd.edu  

Cavanaugh vs. Howard

By Casey Karnes

Sports Writer

Cavanaugh and Howard will put their undefeated records on the line when they face off Sunday.

Cavanaugh (2-0) has not allowed a point in its first two games thanks to a stout defensive line led by senior captain Tegan Chapman. With Chapman and senior cornerback Michelle Young anchoring the defense, teams have struggled to move the ball on the ground or through the air against the Chaos.

"Our defense has definitely been our strength - it's a rock solid defense," Cavanaugh senior captain and center Kelly Brakora said.

Howard's defense also shone brightly in its opening game, as it notched a shutout win over Lyons. The Ducks (1-0) made several goal line stands to help preserve the win.

"The defense was really stingy and didn't allow any big gains," Howard coach and graduate student Dan Scheper, said. "Our offense was also really encouraging. ... The passing game was really sharp."

Although the Ducks offense is led by a first-year starting quarterback in junior Clare Robinson,  Scheper said he wants to expand the offensive game plan against the Chaos.

"We really focused on the passing game against Lyons, but ... we are going to add in some more running plays to keep [the Chaos] on their toes," Scheper said.

The Chaos will hope to attack the Ducks with a balanced offense led by senior quarterback and captain Rosemary Kelly and sophomore running back Olivia Dietzel. While it is not a major concern for the Chaos, Cavanaugh's offense has shown some flaws thus far.

"Our offense has taken a little time to develop because we have a new quarterback this year, but I think we worked our jitters out [against Walsh]," Brakora said. "We really improved [against Lyons] ... and we're going to continue to build on that."

The Chaos and the Ducks face off Sunday at 6 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Contact Casey Karnes at
wkarnes@nd.edu

Pangborn vs. Welsh Family

By Rich Hidy

Sports Writer

After earning victories to open their seasons, Pangborn and Welsh Family will meet in a week-two showdown Sunday.

Welsh Family (1-0) began its season with a 12-0 win over Lewis Hall last Sunday, but Whirlwind senior captain Victoria Moreno said she is keeping her team's victory in perspective.

"We want to improve on what we did against Lewis," Moreno said. "We need to convert better on extra points and continue to shut out opponents defensively."

Some standouts for Welsh Family have been senior linebacker Lynn Tasker and sophomore wide receiver Natalie Branch. Tasker has been proficient at getting after the quarterback, as she has recorded many pressures and sacks. Branch has been a game-changer on offense with her quick feet and great hands. With its widespread talent, Welsh Family has high hopes for this season.

"Our goal is to go to the championship, but we are taking it one game at a time," Moreno said. "We have four back-to-back games to start off the season each week, so we need to get the proper amount of rest and execute well on the field. We have great coaches this year and we gel well as a team."

Pangborn (1-0) won its first game Sunday, defeating Farley 20-0. Despite the win, the Phoxes have continued to practice diligently in anticipation for this weekend's showdown.

"I expect total domination against Welsh Family," Pangborn senior captain Colleen Bailey said. "I have great expectations since we've seen a lot of spirit and intensity from this team. They will carry this over from practice to the field."

Pangborn will look for special performances from its young players since this year's Phoxes consist mostly of underclassmen. Sophomore quarterback Caitlin Gargan looked promising in the season opener, as she found senior receiver Meredith Angell on two touchdown passes.

Pangborn and Welsh Family will clash Monday at 10 p.m. at the Riehle Fields at Stepan.

Contact Rich Hidy at rhidy@nd.edu

McGlinn vs. Ryan

By Mary Green

Sports Writer

After surviving a difficult two-game week, McGlinn will look to keep its undefeated record intact against a tough Ryan squad.

Led by a formidable defense, the Shamrocks (2-0) shut out the Pyros 8-0 in their opening matchup and followed with a nail-biting 7-6 victory against Lewis. Both wins left senior captain and quarterback Emily Golden impressed and optimistic for this week, although the team will face another challenging set of games this week.

"We improved throughout the two games so we're heading in a good direction," Golden said. "All the freshmen are stepping up and making big plays in pressure moments, so we have a lot of promise."

McGlinn will look for another strong game from its defense, especially from senior Ally Scalo, whose final-minute interception against Lewis sealed the Shamrocks' second victory. Golden said her team will look to use its talent and durability to carry it through this tough portion of the schedule.

"Our game plan right now is just to bring it and see what happens," she said.

That strategy will find a tough test against the Wildcats (1-0), who drubbed the Finest 27-7 in its season opener.

Relying on a dynamic offense featuring week-one standouts in senior Amy Jurvis and junior Maddie Swan, Ryan hopes to keep its momentum in full swing against McGlinn.

"We have been building on our undefeated season last year, but we lost some key players, so it's all about getting the new players involved and comfortable with the plays," senior captain and quarterback Maya Pillai said.

Pillai said the Wildcats would work on perfecting their plays and improving their offensive efficiency in preparation for Monday's game.

"McGlinn is a strong team, especially as defending champs, so we just have to be very solid in all aspects to get the win," Pillai said.

The Wildcats and Shamrocks will meet Monday at 10 p.m. at the Riehle Fields at Stepan..

Contact Mary Green at mgreen8@nd.edu

Lyons vs. Badin

By Samantha Zuba

Sports Writer

Both Badin and Lyons will be striving for a complete team effort when they take the field Sunday.

The Bullfrogs (0-1) turned in a strong defensive effort last week, but the offense failed to score in a 14-0 loss to Pasquerilla West. Senior captain Tommasina Domel said she expects the offense to step up this week.

"On offense, we need some streamlining, and we're putting in more plays," Domel said. "We're trying to mix it up more in general. ... We want to be able to play off how the defense is defending us."

Domel leads the Bullfrogs' offense at quarterback, but she also offered some insights on Badin's defense.

"We have a couple new [defensive] additions - freshmen and girls that didn't play last year," Domel said. "They've been doing a great job. They're just working on their chemistry now and getting used to playing with the girls that are already there."

Lyons (0-1) also suffered an opening-game loss, as it fell to Howard 20-0, and will look to bounce back with a stronger team identity. Senior captain Christina Bramanti said the Lyonites have started to bond as a team but still have some work to do.

"The team definitely has some good relationships," Bramanti said. "We're working on getting that family relationship we want in the next couple weeks."

Lyons' goals include more than intangibles, however. Bramanti said the Lyonites refocused on fundamental skills at practice this week.

"The defense has been where it needs to be, but it can't get flags [to make tackles]," Bramanti said. "The offense needs to study plays and understand better what it needs to do out there and be able to adjust."

The Bullfrogs and the Lyonites square off Sunday at 6 p.m. at Labar Fields.

Contact Samantha Zuba at szuba@nd.edu