-

-

Computer love-hate

Anna Boarini | Friday, October 26, 2012

Currently, I’m in the midst of a love-hate relationship. It’s not with a boyfriend or a best friend, but it is with someone important. My love-hate relationship is with my Mac computer.
I know a computer is not a person, but I spend more time with my computer than I do people sometimes, so it has become a person to me. My beloved Macky and I have been all over the place together and are pretty much inseparable.
Anyways, as much as I love my Mac, right now I just want to chuck it across the room.
It all started one steamy day in Nepal. Over the summer, my computer decided it would just stop holding a charge, so I had to keep it plugged in all the time. That wasn’t really a huge deal.
Then, my worst nightmare happened. The battery of my computer fell out. Basically, my Mac gave birth to a battery baby. One minute I was standing there taking my computer out of its case and the next minute, bang: battery on the floor.
I just stared at the rectangular piece of plastic and steel. It was like my life flashed before me. All I could think about was all the information contained on my computer. Did I lose my precious novel forever? What about the writing samples for graduate school, were they gone too?
Luckily, with some duct tape and a little elbow grease, the battery fit back in. The battery charged even slower, but my computer was working.
Once I got back to the U.S., everyone made fun of my computer held together by tape. Because they don’t have real duct tape in Nepal (well, I couldn’t find any), I had to do surgery again once I got home. Now, the bottom of my computer is held together by leopard print duct tape. I’m sure Snooki would be proud.
All was going well at school until midterms came around. Everything always goes wrong when you least expect it. There I was at 3 a.m. the day before two exams and three papers were due. Everything was going fine until I went to check some notes. I noticed the power was dangerously low. It was then I thought I might have a heart attack. My computer was plugged in. Why was the battery icon red? Had my Mac finally died?
After a long night of sheer panic, the papers got written and the tests were taken. Then came the real challenge: getting an appointment at the Genius Bar. I ran in there looking like a crazy person, with my unwashed hair piled high up on my head and tears brimming behind the glasses slipping off my nose.