Men's Swimming and Diving: Irish take two dual-meet wins

Notre Dame won two dual meets over the weekend, taking down Oakland (Mich.) in Rochester, Mich., on Friday night before winning at Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., on Saturday.

The Irish claimed first place in 11 of 16 events Friday at Oakland, earning a 191-107 victory over the hosts.
All-American junior Frank Dyer was a double race winner for the Irish, winning the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 21.23 seconds, before putting in a time of 1:38.73 to take the 200-yard freestyle.

Sophomore divers Nick Nemetz and Michael Kreft swept the diving events for the Irish. Nemetz won the one-meter with a score of 321.90, while Kreft took the three-meter with a score of 291.37.

Senior swimmer Christopher Johnson said having seen Oakland at the Dennis Stark relays earlier in the season helped the Irish topple the hosts.

"Seeing Oakland last weekend was good for us," Johnson said. "I felt like we were able to come out strong, especially knowing how strong they usually are at the start."

After defeating Oakland on Friday, the Irish took a quick bus ride over to East Lansing where they took down the Spartans on Saturday. Notre Dame posted a convincing 178-120 win over the host school.

"We definitely did what we went to Michigan to do," Johnson said. "We wanted to win and we were able to do that."

Dyer was a double winner for the second contest in a row, winning both the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle.

Sophomore swimmer Cameron Miller took home gold in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke, his first multi-win meet of the season.

Nemetz swept the diving events in East Lansing, placing first in both the one-meter and the three-meter dives.

"Moving forward, we need to go even faster," Johnson said. "This Friday, Purdue comes in and that's a meet we really want to win. Fan support would be huge on Friday."

The Irish host the Boilermakers on Friday at 5 p.m. in Rolfs Aquatic Center.

Contact Nick Boyle at nboyle1@nd.edu