ND Women's Soccer: Bohaboy's game-winner propels team forward

Notre Dame entered its Big East championship quarterfinal match against Syracuse on Sunday already boasting a share of the Big East National Division title. It would not have done so, however, without a certain sophomore forward.

Lauren Bohaboy netted the game-winner in a 1-0, double-overtime victory over DePaul in the season finale. Bohaboy's goal provided the Irish (13-4-2, 8-1-1 Big East) a share of the regular season division title and provided the forward quite the thrill.

"That was really exciting," Bohaboy said. "It was a great win for our team and helped us to win the Big East conference. I had a lot of fun in doing it."

Bohaboy leads the Irish in shots with a whopping 62 on the season. Freshman forward Crystal Thomas owns the next closest total with 38. It should come as no surprise that Bohaboy turned in another solid effort in Notre Dame's 1-0 win against the Orange (9-7-2, 6-3-1) on Sunday. Although it was freshman forward CariRoccaro's turn to score the winning goal, Bohaboy still left her mark on the stat sheet. She recorded three shots, including two on goal.

"I think I've been effective by just focusing on moving off the ball and creating space for myself," she said.

Bohaboy is just one of many talented players on Notre Dame's roster, but said she has asserted herself more on offense this season.

"I think this year that I have," Bohaboy said of assuming a bigger offensive role. "I think we count on all our forwards and offensive players and we need everyone to play their best in order for us to win."

In addition to her efforts on the field, Bohaboy has helped bring together an inexperienced team off the field.

"I think that all the returners needed to be leaders for the freshmen this year and help bring the team together," she said. "We needed to help incorporate them and make them feel like they're part of the team."

Though only a sophomore, Bohaboy has already acquired a soccer wisdom beyond her years. She spent last summer playing for Beach FC, a Women's Premier Soccer League team in Long Beach, Calif. Bohaboy said her experience has helped her lead her young teammates.

"I think just playing with different players and older players and a variety of different girls just helped me to work with the new people on our team," she said.

Bohaboy may already have helped Notre Dame win a regular season title, but make no mistake, she has her sights set on bigger things.

"Obviously, our goal is to win the Big East tournament and go to the Final Four for the NCAA tournament."

If the Irish accomplish their goals, they will not have done it without significant contributions from their star forward.

Contact Cory Bernard at cbernard@nd.edu