-

-

ND Women’s Soccer: Four years later, Hall stands out as only senior

Jack Hefferon | Monday, October 8, 2012

Three years ago, Notre Dame’s class of 2013 showed up on campus as freshmen: young, inexperienced and unsure of what to expect. That class has proven itself as winners and national champions during their first three seasons, and has continued to make an impact in their senior year. But only one player has made that entire journey from start to finish: Jazmin Hall.

Hall committed to Notre Dame from Marcus High School in Highland Village, Texas, and four years later she is the team’s lone senior captain, and one of only two seniors on the roster (midfielder and transfer student Nicole Borner is the other). The pair was honored before Notre Dame’s 5-1 win over Seton Hall on Friday, and Sunday’s 2-2 draw was their last scheduled game at Alumni Stadium.

For Hall, those four years have passed by in the blink of an eye.

“I can’t believe I’m already a senior,” she said. “It’s sad, especially because this was my last guaranteed home game, but I think we’ll be able to go out and play some more here.”

Hall has been a mainstay on the Irish back line for her entire career, and took the step from substitute to starter last season as a junior. Irish coach Randy Waldrum asked her to take another step to the forefront of this team this season, and Hall has embraced her role as captain this year.

“I’ve just been trying to play hard, and talk a lot more, and get people communicating on the field,” she said. “I’m really just trying to help out wherever I can. I think if I just play hard then hopefully everyone can feed of that.”

The beginning of the season challenged Hall though, as she was injured and forced to the sidelines with injury. Instead of fading into the backgrounh, Hall remained a constant for the young defense, and helped freshman Stephanie Campo learn to fill in for her at left back while she was out.

Since her return last month, Hall has slipped back into the lineup, and is much of the reason for Notre Dame’s current eight-game unbeaten streak, which has featured four shutouts.

“Since she’s come back, she’s stepped up and won her spot back, and she’s been one of our best backs,” Waldrum said. “She’s so good at getting up and down the flank and getting her service across, and with her pace she’s a handful to defend. She’s been big for us this year.”

Hall will graduate from the Mendoza College of Business in May with a degree in Management-Consulting, and is looking to pursue a career in sports marketing. And while Hall is excited to take yet another step forward in life, she isn’t too eager to leave Notre Dame – and knows it will never leave her.

“This experience has meant so much,” she said. “Just to be a part of something that’s bigger than myself, and being part of a winning tradition, has been so much fun. It will definitely be something that I remember for the rest of my life.”

Contact Jack Hefferon at wheffero@nd.edu