Women's Interhall: Purple Weasels continue undefeated season

In a game that was tight until the final quarter, Pasquerilla West rode a stifling defense to defeat Breen-Phillips 19-0 on Tuesday night.

Pasquerilla West's option attack helped the team find the end zone on a one-yard run up the middle to start the scoring. The score was set up by a circus catch on a deep throw from sophomore quarterback Lauren Vidal to senior receiver Alice Yerokun.

The Purple Weasels (5-0) led 6-0 until the fourth quarter, as the Babes (1-3) could not mount an offensive attack against the Pasquerilla West defense. Early in the fourth quarter the Purple Weasels broke the game open. After a methodical drive, Vidal tossed a touchdown pass to put Pasquerilla West up 13-0.

Pasquerilla West senior captain Meaghan Schmitt said she was pleased with the performance of the offense despite some trying conditions.

"I think we did well but for some reason we usually play better on turf," Schmitt said. "Our offense connected even though the wind was pretty bad and the passing game looked good."

The Pasquerilla West defense came up with two interceptions, the second of which ended Breen-Phillips' hope late in the fourth quarter. Instead of running out the clock, the Purple Weasels tacked on another touchdown to take a commanding 1
9-0 lead with less than a minute remaining,.Despite the loss, the Babes are keeping a positive attitude.

"We played really well and [Pasquerilla West] is known for having a great team," junior captain Molly Toner said. "Even though they ran up the score at the end, we had a good chance to win."

Pasquerilla West squares off against Lyons on Oct. 28, while Breen-Phillips plays Howard on the same day.

Contact Rich Hidy at rhidy@nd.edu