Monday, March 18, 2024

Club sells treats for a charitable cause

This past week, Saint Mary's students, faculty and staff had the opportunity to support She's the First*{Saint Mary's}, a new club on campus which is part of the national nonprofit organization, She's the First.

Junior Mileva Brunson, founder of the Saint Mary's chapter, was excited to share the present and upcoming goals for the club on campus.

"We creatively fundraise throughout the year to sponsor girls' education in developing countries.
This week, we held our first fundraiser, 'Tie Dye Cupcakes For a Cause,'" Brunson said. "All proceeds from the bake sale will go towards our goal of $360, which would sponsor a year of school for a girl in Uganda."

The cupcake fundraiser was initially started by Lindsay Brown, the president of She's the First*{Notre Dame}, where it became such a success that the organization made it the national campaign.

"The goal for this year nationally is to raise $50,000 for girls education, and there has been amazing success all across the country," Brunson said. "We have been posting a lot on social media. We post daily on our Facebook and Twitter, and a lot of girls who purchase a cupcake are Instagraming them. It's been great to see students posting in support of She's the First across many different social networking sites."

Brunson said she is thankful student reception of She's the First has been great, as well as faculty support for the chapter at Saint Mary's.

"We have had such wonderful support from both students and faculty. It's great to have people come up to the table to buy a cupcake, and then want to learn more about our mission and our goal for the fundraiser," Brunson said.

While some students have joined Brunson with She's the First*{Saint Mary's}, she is hoping that more will help raise awareness as the year progresses.

"I would love to see this grow into a powerful force on campus, working to make a difference in girls' education worldwide," Brunson said. "We are hoping to partner with the She's the First chapter at Notre Dame and work to hold a fundraiser together. Also, if we reach our fundraising goal, we could get to know the girl we have sponsored in Uganda and begin to build a relationship with her and see how she is doing in school, which would be so rewarding."

As far as the cupcakes go, Brunson knows students will take away more than just a sweet treat after visiting the club's table outside the dining hall.

"I hope that students realize how much of an impact they can have, just by buying a cupcake; because what begins with a cupcake ends with a girl in school," Brunson said. "It is so inspiring to know that our actions this week are life-changing."

Brunson wants others to remember each cupcake the club sells adds up to opportunity for a girl in the developing world and helps her to achieve her dreams.

"We are so lucky to be receiving an outstanding education here at Saint Mary's," Brunson said, "and to give that opportunity of education to other girls around the world is so inspiring and I hope it has inspired the Saint Mary's community as well."

Contact Jillian Barwick at
jbarwi01@saintmarys.edu