Gameday celebrates seniors

In less than 24 hours, a 38-0 walloping of Wake Forest on Senior Day and losses by the top-2 football teams in the country led the Irish to a perfect 11-0 record and their first No. 1 national ranking in the BCS era.

All this excitement combined with unseasonably warm weather made for "an incredible weekend," said Mike Seamon, director of Game Day Operations.

"The perfect weather, Senior Day and the undefeated record all contributed to it being one of the best home football weekends anyone can remember," he said. "It was a wonderful opportunity for the Notre Dame family to celebrate both the seniors and the special season we have been experiencing."

Seamon said this was one of the most special Senior Day celebrations in recent memory due to strong student support for the football team and its seniors.

"It was evident that the student body shares a mutual, special affinity for the team, and vice versa," he said. "Couple that with an undefeated record, and it made for a particularly special and memorable day in Notre Dame history."

The ideal conditions brought a perfect storm of about 115,000 fans to campus on gameday, Seamon said, and pregame attractions on campus also drew in large numbers of visitors Friday and Saturday.

"The Friday tunnel tour had a season high of more than 5,300 visitors, and the pep rally was standing-room only," he said. "The player walk on Saturday was absolutely packed the entire way from the Guglielmino [Athletics Complex] to the Stadium."

Seamon said the lopsided final score helped minimize traffic on campus.

"Post-game traffic was much better and more manageable this weekend given that the game was clearly decided early on in the contest," he said.

According to a press release, the Indiana State Excise Police arrested 36 people on 49 charges this weekend. Officers apprehended 32 minors on 39 charges, including illegal possession or consumption of alcohol and the possession of a false form of identification.

Two men were arrested after a large fight broke out in the C1 parking lot. The men were preliminarily charged with battery, public intoxication, battery on law enforcement and resisting law enforcement.  According to the press release, one Excise Police officer was injured while breaking up the fight.

Officers also arrested two adults on drug possession and paraphernalia charges.

Arrest statistics from Notre Dame Security Police were unavailable at press time.

Now, as the stadium moves into its offseason, Seamon said he and his Game Day Operations team will work to make the Notre Dame football experience even better for next year.

"As has been our typical practice the past few years, we will spend the next several weeks reviewing the season from several different angles and will identify how we can build upon the program for next season," he said.

To provide feedback on the game day experience or suggestions and comments for next season, fans can visit gameday.nd.edu.

Contact Anna Boarini at aboari01@saintmarys.edu