Hockey: Team comes from behind to defeat Wolverines

The No. 8 Irish had to fight back from a 1-0 deficit in order to overcome No. 13 Michigan and earn the 3-1 victory on the road at a packed Yost Arena.

A comeback win is new for the Irish (7-3-0-0, 2-0-0 CCHA) as they were previously 0-3-0 in games when they did not score first.

The Wolverines (4-5-1, 2-3-1-1) scored in the fifth minute of the first period when Irish sophomore defenseman Robbie Russo gave up the puck in the defensive zone to Wolverine freshman forward Justin Selman. Selman took a quick wrist shot, putting it over Irish junior goaltender Steven Summerhays' shoulder for his first career goal.

Although the Irish and Wolverines were dead even at nine shots apiece in the first period, the Irish were lucky to not be down more because the Wolverines had hit two posts, Irish coach Jeff Jackson said.

"We were fortunate to get out of the first period only down one," Jackson said.

Heading into the first intermission, the Irish faced the challenge of catching up to Michigan's explosive offense, but they would not be held scoreless.

"We stayed the course," Jackson said. "[The Wolverines] came out with a lot of energy. They had just come off a big loss against Michigan State and they looked like they had something to prove. We kept our cool and composure, didn't get down and continued to play."

In the fifth minute of the second period on a penalty kill, junior center T.J. Tynan leapt into the air to stop a clearance from the Wolverine defensive zone, brought the puck down and took it across the blue line. Tynan then passed it to junior left winger Mike Voran at the left circle, who took a one-time shot past Wolverine freshman goaltender Mike Racine for the shorthanded goal and Voran's first goal of the season. Eleven of the Irish goals this year have come within the first five minutes of a period and nine of them have been within the first four minutes.

With the assist, Tynan captured his 100th career point.