-

-

ND Women’s Swimming: Irish finish first in Kanasas

By Katie Heit | Monday, November 19, 2012

Notre Dame proved itself to be top competition over the weekend with a first-place finish at the Kansas Women’s Classic in Topeka, Kan.

Irish sophomore Emma Reaney, a Kansas native, said she was proud of her team’s effort against the competitive field.

“We won by a large margin, even while swimming a ridiculous amount of events in a very short time-span,” Reaney said, “I’m proud of my team for being so tough.”

After day one the Irish were sitting in second place, trailing the Jayhawks 266-257. Sophomore Emma Reaney was one of the Notre Dame leaders, taking the top spot in
the 200-yard individual medley and participating in two Irish first-place relays.

By day two, Notre Dame had taken the lead with 667.5 points, leading Kansas by 80 points. Reaney continued her dominant streak with a victory in the 400-yard IM and the 100-yard breaststroke. Senior captain Kim Holden claimed wins in the 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard backstroke. The Irish also claimed victory in the 200-yard medley relay and the second-place finish in the 800 free relay.

On day three, Holden and Reaney placed first and second, respectively, in the 200-meter backstroke. Reaney also claimed victory with a first-place in the 200-yard backstroke. Irish sophomore Bridget Casey grabbed her first individual victory of the weekend, taking first place in the 200-yard butterfly. While Casey finished first in the event, Holden finished only a few seconds behind her and claimed the third spot for the Irish.
Notre Dame closed out the weekend with a victory in the 400-yard medley relay, securing the Irish victory.

Reaney said the Irish excelled due to their toughness throughout the competition.

“I think we needed a meet like this to prove to ourselves just how tough we really are,” Reaney said. “Even before the last relay, when we all thought our legs were about to fall off, we were still joking around and dancing behind the blocks.”

Other top performances from the Irish included freshman Catherine Galletti, who finished in the top 8 in four individual events, including third in the 100-yard freestyle, and swam on three winning relay teams. Irish junior Kelly Ryan was part of two winning relays, finished third in the 200-yard backstroke and fourth in the 100-yard backstroke.

Notre Dame finished with 976.5 points, while host Kansas took second with 853.5.

The Irish will take the holiday weekend off before returning Nov. 30, when the diving team heads to the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa, and the swim team makes its way to Columbus, Ohio, to compete in the Ohio State Invitational.

Contact Katie Heit at kheit@nd.edu