Playing out the playlist

"Fangs" - Little Red Lung
If you love the ethereal and mysterious, then this song is the one for you. Featuring acoustic guitar, echoing harmonies, and eddying violins, "Fangs" is a beautiful little musical experience that you can't help but be drawn in to.
"Work Around It" - Them Swoops
This band from Australia has released literally only this song thus far, but from the way this sounds, I'm anxious to hear their first full-length album. With its catchy guitar riff, you'll feel like you're driving along a sea-sprayed California coastline at sunset (which is a nice thought considering South Bend's recent weather conditions).
"Laura" - Bat For Lashes
The first time I heard this song off Bat For Lashes' "The Haunted Man," I think I played it on repeat about a dozen times. Singer Natasha Khan is backed mostly by piano throughout the majority of this ballad, but the cello and horn bits that hit in the chorus give the track an oomph that leaves you wanting to listen to it again ... and again...and again...
"Priscilla" - Sea Wolf
I can never get enough folk-infused indie rock. Sea Wolf brilliantly executes this style, adding a just the right dose of effects to round it off. It's no different with this excellent track from Sea Wolf's third album "Old World Romance."
"Clone" - Metric
Metric never ceases to keep me interested in their work. They have a style that dips into an extensive array of genres, from synth pop to pure rock to electronica. This track off of their newest album "Synthetica" with its electronic melody repeated throughout seems modest, but singer Emily Hayes' vocals and the song's outro are simply captivating.
"Litost" - Ambassadors
Leading in with eerie harmonies and featuring beautiful strings and a prominent drum beat throughout, this track is a real heart-wrenching song. Lead singer Sam Harris' pining vocals ooze emotions that you can't help but feel yourself.
"Wild" - Royal Teeth
This is a charming song from a new band hailing from New Orleans, La. The tempo is upbeat and catchy and the oohs and ahs are delightful. You'll find yourself singing and dancing along in no time. And sometimes belting it out in the car. Not like I would know anything about that.
"Lazuli" - Beach House
I have already expressed my love for Beach House. I will continue to do so by presenting you with another one of their dream-pop delights. And I have played this one on repeat as well. I have no shame.
"Glide" - Pinback
This song quite literally glides along. After a long 5-year hiatus, Pinback released their fifth album "Information Retrieved" just last month. Pinback has had a whole slew of musicians rotate through the band, but they have consistently kept with their distinct style of unusual, syncopated rhythms and prominent bass lines.
"River" - Civil Twilight
We're going international again with this one, but this time we'll find ourselves in South Africa. This track from South African alt rock band Civil Twilight's sophomore album "Holy Weather" has a delightful gloominess (does that even make sense?) about it. Acoustic guitars, emoting harmonies, and slight grunginess will leave you begging for more.
"Eyeoneye" - Andrew Bird
Andrew Bird as an extensive repertoire under his belt thus far. This track off of his latest album "Break It Yourself" is one of my favorites. Andrew Bird is a multi-instrumentalist who has a charming quirkiness about his music that always keeps you interested, featuring plucky violins, the ever elusive glockenspiel, and just about the coolest whistling I've ever heard.
"Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" - Tame Impala
A psychedelic rock band from Australia, Tame Impala channels the swirling, dreamy synth effects characteristic of late 60s psychedelic bands. And as soon as you hear vocalist Kevin Parker's voice, you'll swear that John Lennon has been reincarnated. This track is a chill tune to groove to off of their sophomore album, "Lonerism."
"Strange Attractor" - Animal Kingdom
This song was a favorite on the radio airwaves this summer and it's not hard to see why. It's cheerful and upbeat, it's about finding unexpected love, and it's Brit-pop. What more could you ask for?
"Back Seat" - Atlas Genius
Yes, I'm adding another song from an Australian band. Why? Because I can. And this song is just awesome.