SMC Soccer: Belles victory ends season

The Belles defeated Kalamazoo 1-0 on Wednesday in their regular season finale and clinched their most successful season in Saint Mary's history.

In need of a win and some assistance from other teams to earn their rank, Saint Mary's (13-5-2, 10-5-1, MIAA) earned three points against the Hornets (11-6-2, 9-5-2) to finish tied for fourth in the conference. The tie prevents the Belles from advancing to the four-team post-season playoffs.

In the fourth minute of Wednesday's game, junior midfielder and captain Mollie Valencia blasted a free kick from 22 yards out into the back of the net. The score ended up being all the Belles needed against Kalamazoo. The goal marked Valencia's fourth game-winning goal this season.

For the rest of the contest, the Belles weathered the Hornets' storm. Kalamazoo outshot Saint Mary's 14-4 in the game, including a 5-0 advantage in the second half.

Sophomore goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum made three saves for the Belles and picked up her eighth shutout of the season.

In addition to knocking off the Hornets, the Belles received help from around the league. Calvin bested Adrian (12-3-4, 9-3-4) 2-1 in an overtime thriller. An Adrian victory, coupled with wins by Alma and Hope, would have eliminated even a victorious Saint Mary's.

The win was another milestone in an historic season for The Belles. The 13 wins are the most in Saint Mary's history. The Belles also only allowed 12 goals all season, the lowest total since the program began in 1986.