-

-

SMC Swimming: Belles expect strong showings from relay teams

Isaac Lorton | Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Belles will take on a swarm of squads as they compete in the Patrick Woehnker Invitational hosted by Wabash College this weekend. 

Belles coach Mark Benishek said after weeks of rest, the Belles are eager to be back in the water.

“We’ve done some really hard training in the past three weeks,” Benishek said. “We’ve been doing a lot of double practices, upping our strength and conditioning, just preparing for the upcoming meets. We have given the girls some rest these past couple of days, and I think they are just excited about getting back out there and swimming.”

There will be both Division I and Division III teams, including the University of Indianapolis, at the invite, and Benishek said the Belles will hold their own.

“I think we will match up quite well against the teams there,” Benishek said. “Since there’s a mix of Division I and Division III teams, there will be some fast races.”

Benishek said the host of teams will also increase the Belles’ competitiveness.

“Absolutely, we will swim more competitively,” Benishek said. “Anytime a bunch of teams get together times increase. It is mid-season, and that is when you get the fastest times. I expect all of our times to increase from the past meets.”

The 400-yard freestyle relay and the 200-yard medley relay will have the Belles’ top contenders, Benishek said. The 400-yard relay consists of senior Ellie Watson, sophomore Anna Nolan and freshmen Emily Brown and Carolyn Neville. The 200-yard medley is Watson, Brown, Neville and freshman Megan Knobloch

The Belles will be looking to their relay teams to be the spark plugs for a good weekend, Benishek said. 

“We are expecting some fast times in the relays,” Benishek said. “Our relays have been looking great in practice. When the relays do well, I think that will transfer over to singles doing well. Overall, I think we can compete.”

The Belles look to defeat the competition Friday and Saturday at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Ind.   

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu