SMC to host class contest

This afternoon, Saint Mary's students will be suiting up in their respective class colors to duke it out in the first annual Student Activities Board (SAB) Turkey Bowl.

First years must wear purple shirts, sophomores will wear pink, juniors will don green shirts and seniors will be decked out in blue at the event, which will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. on the intramural field between Opus Apartments and the Angela Athletic Facility parking lot.

Junior Lauren Sweeney, co-chair of the SAB entertainment committee, said she is excited to institute a festive athletic tradition at the College.

"The Turkey Bowl is a touch football game between the classes at the College," Sweeney said. "It is a small tournament with eight to 12 on each team. The winners will receive Midnight Madness points for their class and Turkey Bowl jerseys with their graduation year on the back."

Midnight Madness, a SAB event held in February, is another competition between the classes at the College when students receive free food, prizes and play "minute-to-win-it" games. The Saint Mary's Tostal performer is also announced at the event.

There will be four games held during the tournament, with each team playing two games. While it is an interclass competition, Sweeney said it is meant to bring the classes together.

"SAB is having the event to promote school spirit and Midnight Madness next semester," Sweeney said. "Also, it is a different type of event, which will hopefully encourage more girls to come to our events."

Students are encouraged to play in the games and also come cheer on their fellow classmates by also wearing their class colors. The class with the most supporters will win bonus Midnight Madness points.

Upon arrival, students participating in the Turkey Bowl must sign a waiver. Students are still able to sign up before the event if the teams are not filled yet.