-

-

Sucked to sea

Lauren Fritz | Wednesday, November 14, 2012

PERTH, Australia – There’s a reason why Australians are so connected to the oceans. It’s not just the waves or the sheer feeling of bliss when sitting on a beach. The waters have provided livelihood for the Australians as a means of trade and transportation. Even before the first Europeans ventured down under, many of the Aboriginals made homes by the sea, utilizing the coast for the food and ease of travel on the water. The climate is considerably more comfortable along the coast than in the innermost parts of the continent called “the outback,” which is quite arid and dry. Today, Australians flock to the oceans to surf, snorkel and explore, among other activities.

Those of us studying abroad in Perth have definitely adopted the Australians’ love for the ocean, and we spend our fair share of time on the coast. Whether it’s learning how to surf in the crystal clear waters near Margaret River or simply twirling around on the sparkling white sand of Cottesloe Beach, the salt is always in our hair and the sand is always between our toes. As for me, I’ve never been more content. When you (hopefully) take a look at the video I’ve concocted of a small amount of my ocean encounters, you’ll get a taste of what I feel here in Australia – a little bit wild and a little bit free, falling more in love with this incredible continent every single day.

Contact Lauren Fritz at lfritz1@nd.edu