Monday, May 13, 2024

Where are they now: 'Friends'

I don't know about you, but I just can't get enough of "Friends" re-runs. Every time I turn on the TV and encounter one of their famous episodes, I have to watch it. With 10 very successful seasons, friends Rachel, Ross, Monica, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey continue to capture viewer's hearts today. Their laughs, tears and overall stories and relationships have made "Friends" one of the greatest TV shows of all time. After the series finale in May 2004, our favorite friends parted in separate ways starring in new TV and movie roles. So, where are these actors now?

Jennifer Aniston
During the 1990s, Jennifer Aniston was known for playing bubbly and lovable fashion enthusiast Rachel Green in "Friends" and for dating and later marrying Hollywood hunk Brad Pitt. After the show ended, her personal life deteriorated while her professional life bolstered.
In 2005, Aniston divorced Pitt after speculation that he had been unfaithful to her with actress and now-partner Angelina Jolie. Since then, she has dated several well-known actors and musicians, and she is currently engaged to actor Justin Theroux.
Although she has been through many personal ups and downs, Aniston's acting career has blossomed throughout the years, becoming one of America's most popular celebrities. She has starred in successful films such as "Bruce Almighty," "The Break-Up," "Marley & Me," "Just Go With It" and "Horrible Bosses," among others. Furthermore, in February 2012 Aniston received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

David Schwimmer
Known for his interpretation of Ross Geller, David Schwimmer delighted "Friends" fans as Rachel's on-again-off-again funny and likeable love interest. Before joining the "Friends" cast, he had already appeared in TV series such as "L.A. Law" and "NYPD Blue". After the show, Schwimmer has participated in a number of films, most popularly "Madagascar" and its sequel "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa." In 2009, he made a special appearance in "Entourage" and in 2011 he guest-starred on the British comedy series "Come Fly with Me."

Courtney Cox
Rachel and Monica's friendship transcended "Friends". These characters' respective interpreters, Aniston and Courtney Cox, maintain to this day a very close relationship.
After the show, Cox's professional life prospered.
The actress is also well known in Hollywood for her roles in thriller "Scream" and ABC sitcom "Cougar Town." She owns her own production company and she was recently nominated for her first Golden Globe.

Matthew Perry
Perry rose to stardom as Chandler Bing in "Friends". However, after the show he continued starring in various television films and series that won him Golden Globe and Emmy nominations.
Perry is currently acting as Ryan King, a sportscaster, on the NBC comedy "Go On."

Lisa Kudrow
Kudrow gained popularity as an actress and comedian for her role as funny and quirky Phoebe Buffay, receiving an Emmy Award and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
The actress then appeared in many films, including "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion," "P.S. I Love You" and "Easy A."
Kudrow is currently starring in "Web Therapy" on Showtime, while also producing NBC's reality show "Who Do You Think You Are."

Matt LeBlanc
After "Friends," LeBlanc continued playing struggling actor and womanizer Joey Tribbiani in its spin-off "Joey." Then in 2011, he began starring as a fictional version of himself in BBC Two/Showtime's "Episodes" and won a Golden Globe for his role in the show that same year.
Contact Maria Fernandez at
mfernan5@nd.edu