A step forward for the University

Since 1986, almost every Student Government administration has advocated for expanding inclusion in the Notre Dame Family to better include GLBTQ students. The Rocheleau-Rose Administration is no exception.

Due to the overwhelming student support exhibited over the past several years regarding this issue, Student Government's May 2012 Board of Trustees Presentation was centered around "Expanding Inclusion in the Notre Dame Family," specifically requesting that the Board investigate opportunities to make all students feel welcome at Notre Dame.
Upon returning to campus this fall, we were excited to hear about the Office of Student Affairs' broad review of campus GLBTQ resources. We have been honored to have had the opportunity to represent student voices throughout this five month review by collaborating extensively with the Office of Student Affairs, 4 to 5 Movement and Core Council to assist in the development of the Pastoral Plan.  

Throughout the semester we have seen firsthand the dedication that the Student Affairs staff has put into this review. It is with great appreciation of these efforts that Student Government offers its full support to the Pastoral Plan and Initiative released by the Office of Student Affairs yesterday. The Plan offers a myriad of resources unparalleled by peer institutions. We are pleased that there will be an avenue for GLBTQ students and allies to come together through a student organization. The advisory council will give the Vice President of Student Affairs an inside look into the campus climate in a way that currently does not exist, and the creation of a student development professional position demonstrates a lasting commitment to this issue.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the students, faculty and administrators that have devoted so much time and energy to developing this Plan. We are proud to witness our University take a momentous step forward, and look forward to continued partnering with the University, 4 to 5 Movement and the Office of Student Affairs as we begin to implement this plan over the next few months.

Brett Rocheleau
student body president
senior
Dec. 6

Katie Rose
student body vice president
senior
Dec. 6

Katie Baker
chief of staff
senior
Dec. 6

Matt Devine
director of gender issues
sophomore
Dec. 6