Championship lottery opens to students

The Notre Dame Athletic Ticket Office sent an email to the student body Sunday night detailing the process for entering the ticket lottery for the Notre Dame vs. Alabama BCS National Championship Bowl Game in Miami, Fla., scheduled for Jan. 7. 2,500 tickets will be randomly allocated to eligible full-time undergraduate, graduate and professional students at Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College, according to the webpage linked in the email.

Students may enter the ticket lottery for a single ticket and must pay the $150 student price as well as a $20 service fee upon entry. Unsuccessful applicants will be reimbursed the ticket price but will not be refunded the service fee.

This student ticket rate comes at a steep discount to regular tickets with a face value of $300. The email attributed the lowered price to an anonymous donation.

"Due to the overwhelming generosity of a concerned alumnus, student tickets for the BCS Championship will be half-price, $150 each," the email stated.

Unlike other away game student ticket lotteries, tickets will only be redeemable by the winning students and may not be used by others, including other Notre Dame or Saint Mary's students.

"Tickets are non-transferrable and may only be used by the winning student," the email stated. "The winning student must present their valid ND/SMC student ID at the pickup location beginning approximately 36 hours prior to kickoff."

There is no grouping process available and seating will be assigned at random. Unlike the faculty and alumni lotteries, there is no weighting in the student lottery and all entrants stand an equal chance of attaining tickets.