Chipotle sales to benefit charity

Students will be able to support a great cause while enjoying a tasty burrito Thursday when Saint Mary's Dance Marathon hosts a giveback night at the Chipotle in Eddy Street Commons. From 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., 50 percent of the proceeds generated will benefit the Riley Hospital for Children when patrons bring in a voucher advertising the giveback. Dance Marathon vice president of marketing Kate Kellogg said students should take time out from studying for finals to visit the event.

"It's a good break from studying," Kellogg said. "It's a good way to give back to the community."

Kellogg said Dance Marathon chose to partner with Chipotle because of its close proximity to both the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's campuses.

"It's easy access for students and freshmen who don't have cars," she said. "They can just take the trolley."

Although the Riley Hospital for Children is located in Indianapolis, it helps treat children of local families, and some of them attended the Dance Marathon family dinner last Friday.

"It's really neat to see that Riley doesn't just treat children from Indianapolis, but children from all over," Kellogg said, "[Riley] is doing great work all over."

Last year SMC Dance Marathon held a similar giveback night and earned $2,000 for its cause. Kellogg said that Dance Marathon is aiming to match that amount this year.

If students can't make it to the giveback event but still want to help Dance Marathon, Kellogg said the group will host a Buffalo Wild Wings giveback event next semester. Students will also be able to register as a dancer for the Dance Marathon event in the spring during three days in January and three days in February, Kellogg said.

Kellogg said she and the other members of Dance Marathon are passionate about the event because they've met some of the children affected.

"We went to a luncheon at the hospital and [saw] the children treated at Riley and how great the families' experience was," she said. "[We heard] the children's stories of growth and feeling and the way the hospital touches them."