SMC Basketball: Saint Mary's falls by close margin

Saint Mary's dropped another close contest, falling to Olivet at home Saturday 79-75.  

The Belles (2-5, 0-2 MIAA) started the game out strong, taking a seven-point lead after seven minutes of play. Olivet (4-1, 2-0) responded strong, coming back to take the lead on a 3-pointer with 10:55 left in the first half.

Saint Mary's took a nine-point lead with two minutes remaining in the half before the Comets closed out strong to cut the home team's lead to 44-39.  

The second half was much different than the first for the Belles, as Olivet used a 15-2 run to take an eight-point lead just five minutes into the second half. Saint Mary's was able to cut Olivet's lead to four before the Comets used a 12-4 run to take a 14-point lead with just over 10 minutes left in the second half.  

Saint Mary's again fought back strong, scoring 10 straight points to cut Olivet's lead to four points with just over six minutes left in the game. 

FFirst year guard Bernadette Jordan's 3-point jumper pulled Saint Mary's within one point with just under two minutes left in the game. Following a stop, the Belles a possession with a chance to take the lead. Saint Mary's had three attempts at the basket, but saw them all bounce off the rim and away. 

Though Saint Mary's made more shots for the game than the Comets, Olivet was strong from behind the 3-point arc for the game, converting on 8 of their 16 3-pointers.

Sophomore forward Ariana Paul led the Belles in scoring, chipping in 20 points and 10 rebounds in her first double-double while also contributing four steals and four assists. Junior guard Shanlynn Bias scored 17 points for Saint Mary's and first year forward Krista Knapke had 14 points.

Saint Mary's next travels to Kalamazoo on Wednesday to take on the Hornets at 7:30 p.m.