-

-

Men’s Swimming: Irish take first at Copa Coqui Meet

Megan Finneran | Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Irish escaped the winter weather for a trip to Puerto Rico, where they competed in the Copa Coqui Meet in Trujillo Alto on Jan. 5. The team took first place, gathering 64 points to beat out a variety of opponents, including Army, Connecticut and schools from Puerto Rico.

“We were happy with the results,” senior Chris Johnson said. “We thought Army was going to win overall.”

Many members of the squad contributed to the top finish in their individual events. First place finishes earned nine points, second place earned four, third place took three, fourth place took two and fifth place added one point to the team total.
Irish junior Frank Dyer kicked off the day by taking second in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 54.14 seconds, while freshman teammate Michael Hudspith finished third with a time of 54.68.

In the 100-yard butterfly, Irish senior Bill Bass took second with a time of 57.79, closely followed by Irish sophomore John Williamson with a time of 1:00.16.

Sophomore Cameron Miller gathered a first place for the Irish, finishing the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:06.04.
Irish freshman Bogac Ayhan won the 100-yard backstroke in 1:01.17, followed by junior teammate Bertie Nel in fourth place in 1:03.31.

The Irish performed strongly in the 200-yard individual medley, with junior Colin Babcock and sophomore Patrick Olson finishing first and second, respectively.

The most exciting and anticipated event was the 500-yard freestyle relay, the final event of the day.

“We were very focused on the 10-by-50 relay,” Johnson said. “We’ve never lost it.”

Notre Dame took first place in the event.

Overall, the team saw the meet as a success and good opportunity for a diverse range of competition.

“This meet serves as a good break during our training trip,” Johnson said. “It gives us a chance to compete against local teams from Puerto Rico as well as other teams on their training trips.”

The Irish next head to Cleveland for a dual meet against Cleveland State on Jan. 18.

Contact Megan Finneran at mfinnera@nd.edu