ND Women's Swimming: Hoosiers win nine of 16 events against Irish

Notre Dame fell to Indiana, 175-125 Saturday at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington, Ind.

Indiana won nine of 16 events, including both relays. Sophomore Emma Reaney was a bright spot as a triple-winner for the Irish, winning the 100 and 200 breaststroke and the 200 IM. Senior Jenny Chiang swept the diving competition, winning both the one- and three-meter dives. Other Irish victors were senior Kim Holden and sophomore Bridget Casey, winners of the 100 and 200 fly, respectively.

En route to victory, the Hoosiers swept the relays, and recorded victories in every discipline of freestyle and backstroke.
Despite the loss, Reaney was impressed with the way her teammates stepped up when asked.

"We had a couple girls sick or injured, and others stepped up and swam events, so it showed how were gaining depth and becoming more versatile as we head into the championship season."

Indiana was able to jump out on the Irish in several events, sweeping the top two spots in the 1,000 free, 200 free, and 50 free. Reaney said that the Irish had to not only contend with the Hoosier swimmers, but also a quick turnaround coming back from winter break.

"I think it was hard having a meet right after a first week back to school. Everyone was tired, it was kind of a shock," Reaney said, "I forgot we were there for a meet until after the first event. We swam as well as we could have under the circumstances."

Despite the loss, Reaney is still confident in her team and doesn't believe they are in need of any major changes as they prepare for the postseason, even with just two meets remaining before next month's Big East championships in Indianapolis.

"If we just stick with what we're doing and stay focused we'll be good," she said. "As the practices become shorter and easier, it's easy for the girls to lose focus, so we just need to stay on track."

On an individual level, Reaney continued her impressive season with three more wins. While she has been dominating the pool all season long, she credits her success to sheer enjoyment.

"I've never taken swimming too seriously, the most important thing is just to make sure I'm having fun," Reaney said. "I really love my team and sometimes swimming can be really hard but I just try to stay lose, goof around, and have a good time."

The Irish will look to rebound this weekend, when they'll finish out their home season against Towson in the Shamrock Invitational.

Contact Alex Wilcox at awilcox1@nd.edu