-

-

Observer selects next top editor

Observer Staff Report | Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Observer General Board elected Associate Sports Editor Andrew Gastelum as the 2013-14 Editor-in-Chief on Tuesday.

A native of Los Angeles, Gastelum is a junior Film, Television and Theatre and Romance Languages double major with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy.

A resident of Morrissey Manor, Gastelum has led several sports beats, including football, men’s basketball, baseball and women’s soccer.

“I’m humbled by this truly incredible opportunity to lead The Observer,” Gastelum said. “It’s exciting to take on this challenge and put my best effort into it.”

Gastelum became Associate Sports Editor in the spring of 2012 and helped lead coverage of Notre Dame football’s run to the national championship. He has also covered Notre Dame men’s basketball and baseball.

“Andrew has done an exceptional job as a leader in the sports department, especially in working individually with writers to help them improve,” outgoing Editor-in-Chief Allan Joseph said. “I’ve really enjoyed working with Andrew for the past three years, and I’m excited to see how he uses his passion to take The Observer to new heights in the next year.”

Gastelum said he looks forward to continue learning from his experience at The Observer.

“There is always something special you can learn from your experiences and the people around you,” he said. “I’m absolutely thrilled to do that and continue the vision of this great organization.”

Gastelum will take over as Editor-in-Chief on March 4.

-

-

Observer selects next top editor