SMC Basketball: Belles drop match against conference rivals Trine

In a game of many back-and-forth runs, Saint Mary's fell short in a close matchup with conference foe Trine on Wednesday night, as the Thunder (11-9, 5-6 MIAA) held on for a 63-57 win in Angola, Mich.

The Belles (5-16, 3-9) came into the game having lost their last four and were hoping to halt their losing streak and sweep the season series with the Thunder. It looked like that would be the case early, with the Belles using an early 9-0 run sparked by junior guard Shanlynn Bias and senior guard Kayla Wolter to take a 15-7 lead with 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

Trine recovered, outscoring the Belles by 11 over the final 10 minutes of the opening half. The Thunder took a three-point advantage - and the momentum - into the locker-roome at halftime.

The Thunder, riding their first-half momentum, opened up a 15-point lead thanks to a 21-7 run over the first six minutes of the second half.

The Belles mounted a furious comeback, cutting the lead to two with just more than seven minutes left, but the Thunder responded again, sealing the game withffree throws down the stretch. Saint Mary's coughed the ball up 21 times, leading to 21 Trine points.

Bias continued her stellar play of late, leading the Belles with 15 pointo and addingdseven rebounds.

The Belles will look to rebound from the loss with another road tilt at 0 p.m. Saturday against Albion in Albion, Mich