SMC club prepares for fundraiser

Cailin Crowe | Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon committee remains hard at work planning for the event, a student-led fundraiser benefitting the Riley Hospital for Children scheduled for March 23.

As the event nears, Liz Kraig, executive chair of corporate sponsorship, is focused on increasing participation and donations.

“My goals for our time before the marathon are to encourage dancer registration and expose the marathon to as many local corporate sponsors as possible,” Kraig said.

While there are numerous existing relationships with local businesses, Kraig said she hopes to both build on those in place and to draw in new sponsorship.

“We have a strong support system with our local corporate sponsors,” she said. “I would love to see our valued relationships continue to grow. I am excited to reach out to the new businesses and corporate supporters in the next few months.”

Buffalo Wild Wings, one of the existing sponsors, will be hosting a fundraising event Wednesday night. Salon Rouge, another local business offering assistance, will be hosting a Salon Night at the College on Jan. 31, the night before the All School Formal.

In hopes of garnering donations from as many participants as possible, the Dance Marathon team is running a “Zero Zeros” campaign, which encourages each dancer to raise at least one dollar.

Dance Marathon president Amy Tiberi said she was pleased with the organization’s diverse fundraising efforts.

“We fundraise online, with “give back” nights, through the letter-writing campaign, corporate sponsorships, merchandise sales, personal donations and events,” she said. “We have tried our luck at basically every type of fundraising you can think of.”

Kraig attributes the success of the fundraising to the efforts of her fellow planners.

“I love being a part of the Dance Marathon team. It is fun to plan awareness and fundraising events,” she said. “Dance Marathon is unique in that it is a student-run organization that benefits something bigger than ourselves.”

Getting out into the community and building relationships with sponsors and beneficiaries alike adds to the fulfillment, she said.

“Having the opportunity to visit Riley Hospital for Children and create relationships with local families and fellow Belles makes it one of my favorite organizations to be involved in at Saint Mary’s.”