Beers faces criminal charges

The St. Joseph Country Prosecutor's Office has filed three misdemeanor charges against a Notre Dame hockey player who allegedly hit a female manager at a local bar Sunday night.

Junior Jared Beers, 22, was charged Monday with one count each of criminal trespass, battery and resisting law enforcement. All charges are Class A misdemeanors.

Irish hockey coach Jeff Jackson announced Tuesday in a statement that Beers, a defenseman, has been suspended from the team indefinitely due to this incident.

"The University is aware of this incident and is confident that it will be handled in a prompt and professional manner through the criminal justice system," University Spokesman Dennis Brown said Tuesday.

Capt. Phil Trent, public information officer with the South Bend Police Department, said Beers had been at Brothers Bar and Grill at Eddy Street Commons on Sunday night just before midnight when other patrons complained he was stealing beer from their tables. When bar security asked him to leave, Beers allegedly became belligerent, Trent said.

As security tried to remove Beers from the bar, he pushed one security guard to the ground, Trent said. The police report stated that a female manager then approached him, and he punched her in the face. He allegedly then stepped on her face and jaw and grabbed her hair.

A security video captured part of the incident, Trent said. The police report did not specify if the female manager received treatment at a hospital for her injuries.  

When witnesses called the police, Beers ran from the scene, the report stated. He had left his wallet at Brothers, however, and the South Bend Police Department contacted him to pick it up at the station later that night. The officer on duty arrested Beers when he arrived at the department in the early hours of Monday morning, Trent said. He continued to resist law enforcement by kicking and yelling as he was transported to the jail, where he was booked at 2:44 a.m. Monday.

Beers spent most of Monday at the St. Joseph County Jail before he was released upon posting bail at $300 just after 5 p.m., according to jail records.

Contact Megan Doyle at mdoyle11@nd.edu