-

-

Medical club plans film screening

Peter Durbin | Monday, February 18, 2013

On Feb. 21, the Social Justice in American Medicine Club (SJAM) will screen a film outlining the various workings of the American health care system, one of the key aspects of the club’s focus.

The Frontline documentary, “Sick Around America,” explores the intricacies of the health care system prior to the Affordable Care Act, which was passed in March 2010.

“The documentary presents the viewer with several different cases in which our health care system has succeeded or failed,” sophomore SJAM member Kathleen Anthony said.

The club aims to approach the new health care system with a nonpartisan view, and Anthony said she hopes the movie watch will present students with a chance to examine the impending changes to health care in the next few years.

At its biweekly meetings, the members of SJAM focus on analyzing social and political rights issues of patients in today’s health care system, Anthony said.

“We promote growth in our members through education, discussion and advice from our senior members and doctors,” she said.

Anthony said the club attracts not just members who are interested in a career in health care, but also those interested in public policy, social justice, service and morality.

“The club is interdisciplinary in nature, and we hope to continue to broaden our appeal by working with different majors to gain different perspective on pertinent issues,” she said.

Although many members of the club are pursuing careers in medical and political fields, SJAM also boasts economics and philosophy majors who are avid members.

“I joined the club because my knowledge of the American health care system was limited, and I didn’t understand the great need that exists in our country for health care,” Anthony said.

The club’s mission has fostered growth in all of its members, Anthony said, specifically in their striving to greater serving the community.

“Our club helps us to understand what it is we can do to serve the sick, needy and vulnerable in our society,” she said. “It produces informed, driven and compassionate individuals who can make a difference in the health care system.”

Anthony said she hopes the club’s members will effect change in their various fields through their knowledge of the inner workings of the health care system.

“We promote growth in our members through education and discussions,” Anthony said. “Through service in the South Bend community, we act upon our beliefs and serve.”

SJAM meets every other Thursday at 8 p.m. in the LaFortune Student Center. “Sick Around America” will be screened this Thursday at 8 p.m. in 136 DeBartolo Hall.