-

-

Men’s Lacrosse: Irish to scrimmage Detroit

Sam Gans | Friday, February 1, 2013

The Irish will take the field for the first time on their own campus this season when they host Detroit in an exhibition Saturday night.

The matchup against the Titans is Notre Dame’s last preseason game before traveling to Duke for the regular season opener Feb. 16. Irish coach Kevin Corrigan said the primary objective of the scrimmage against Detroit is to prepare for the clash against the Blue Devils.

“My objective any time before our first game is to prepare us for our first game,” Corrigan said. “I really don’t care what the result of our scrimmage is, short of I need to learn what I need to know about our team, our guys need the opportunity to prepare themselves and their play and stuff for the first game.”

The Irish enter the season ranked No. 3 in the country, while Big East coaches selected them as the favorites to win the conference in the league’s preseason coaches’ poll. Notre Dame won the Big East regular season title last season with an undefeated conference record, but lost to St. John’s in the semifinals of the Big East tournament and bowed out against Loyola in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.

Notre Dame returned to action for the first time in 2013 with two scrimmages Jan. 26 in Orlando, Fla., when it faced off against the U.S. National Team and Jacksonville. Corrigan said he is not looking for drastic improvement in select areas against the Titans, who went 6-9 last season, but rather marginal improvement in many areas.

“Really, I thought that … in every area we saw things that we needed to get better at. Maybe some things where we need to put more of our efforts somewhere else,” Corrigan said. “Maybe some areas where we need to look at the personnel we have in certain situations.

“And then things like clearing, where we didn’t clear the ball well, it cost us goals. Defensively, the problem was more that we weren’t clearing the ball than it was that we were playing bad defense, and so we’ve got to make some progress there.”

The Irish will square off against the Titans at 7 p.m. Saturday night in the Loftus Center.

Contact Sam Gans at sgans@nd.edu