Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Observer hires dept. editors

Six new editors will join The Observer's Editorial Board in 2013-14 and two current editors will retain their positions, incoming Editor-in-Chief Andrew Gastelum announced Sunday.

Sophomores Ann Marie Jakubowski, Mike Monaco and Kaitlyn Rabach and juniors Kirby McKenna, Grant Tobin and Steph Wulz will assume positions on the Editorial Board after Spring Break.

Junior Kevin Noonan will return as Scene Editor, while junior Dan Brombach will shed the title of interim and continue as Viewpoint Editor.

Jakubowski, a McGlinn Hall resident and native of Grand Rapids, Mich., will serve as News Editor. An English and Spanish double major with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy, Jakubowski has experience covering Indiana politics and the Indiana Senate race this fall in particular.

Monaco, a film, television and theatre major with minors in journalism, ethics and democracy and business economics, hails from Cohasset, Mass., and lives in O'Neill Hall. Monaco will serve as Sports Editor after covering men's basketball, men's lacrosse and spending the past year as Interhall Editor.

Rabach, a resident of Holy Cross Hall and native of Muskegon, Mich., will serve as Saint Mary's Editor. A sophomore political science and global studies major, Rabach spent the fall semester studying abroad in Morocco and contributed to The Observer's ND Passport blog.

McKenna will take over as Multimedia Editor. McKenna is a marketing and graphic design double major. A resident of Ryan Hall and native of Dublin, Ohio is also a member of The Observer's Photography Department.

Tobin is a finance and Chinese double major from Port Orange, Fla., and a resident of Dillon Hall. Tobin has worked as The Observer's lead lacrosse photographer and covered women's basketball in the Sweet 16 last season. Tobin studied abroad in Beijing last fall and served as interim Photo Editor in the spring of 2012.

Wulz hails from Ramsey, N.J., and lives in Walsh Hall. The graphic design major has experience with The Observer's Irish Insiders and the Scene section's centerspread.

Noonan, from Overland Park, Kan., is currently on leave while interning at The David Letterman Show in New York. The marketing major with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy has contributed to every department in The Observer and served as Scene Editor in spring of 2012 and fall of 2012 and will return this upcoming fall.

Brombach is from St. Paul, Minn., and is a resident of Zahm House. Brombach, a history major with a minor in business economics, is currently serving as interim Viewpoint Editor.