Saint Mary's SGA updates policies

As turnover between administrations approaches in coming weeks, Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) will focus on several major calendar items at the College.

During the month of February, SGA will host Heritage Week and Love Your Body Week with other organizations on campus.

During the week of Feb. 18, the College will also launch its Capital Campaign, a major fundraising initiative.

Another significant upcoming event will be elections for SGA, student body president Maureen Parsons said.

"Currently we are working on updating our election policies and posting policy," Parsons said. "We have callout meetings next Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 11 and 12, where candidates will be able to sign up and note what they are running for."

Parsons said she and student body vice president Meghan Casey will then go over the rules for elections with the candidates.

"Student body president [and] vice president and Senate elections will be the last week in February," Parsons said. "Big boards and class boards will be the first week of March. Candidates can start campaigning that Sunday and elections are held that Thursday. We will be doing elections through OrgSync."
Parsons and Casey will be running the callout meetings and approving each of the candidate's platforms once it is are complete.

"I also want to make sure that turnover is a smooth transition and the new president and vice president will feel comfortable in their roles," Parsons said.

Casey said she hopes to have an abundance of applications from students for SGA positions, especially the Senate, for the upcoming year.

"Our Senate was not completely filled this year so I'm really hoping that more students will apply for positions within SGA so that the new structure can be used to its full potential," Casey said. "I am looking forward to the transition so that Maureen and I are able to discuss our goals with the new administration and make sure turnover goes smoothly."

But before turnover, Parsons and Casey both have goals of expanding the impact of SGA in their remaining time, and they said they hope the events of Heritage Week and Love Your Body Week have solid attendance.

"We want to get people really excited about Heritage Week and hopefully have the most successful turnout as possible," Casey said. "Following through with our goals for Heritage Week and the Capital Campaign means a great deal to us."