SMC Swimming and Diving: Belles compete at MIAA championships

The Belles began Thursday sitting in seventh place in the MIAA Swimming and Diving Championships in Jenison, Mich., but moved up to sixth place with two days of competition left. Sophomore Anna Nolan, senior Ellie Watson and freshman Carolyn Neville were key on Thursday to the Belles staying in track for qualifiers. Watson finished ninth in 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:15.87, while Nolan finished 10th in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.19. The women's 400-yard medley relay had a phenomenal run with freshman Megan Knoblock, senior Liz Litke, senior Genevieve Spittler and senior KristynGerberth finishing fifth, but could not qualify into the next round. The women's 200-yard freestyle relay team did not qualify, but Nolan, Watson and Neville, who were on the relay, contributed in other events. 

"We swam really hard today and gave our best effort," Spittler said. 

Friday will be the last day of the MIAA championships where qualifying teams will compete in the 200-yard freestyle relay, 500-yard freestyle, 50-yard freestyle and 400-yard medley relay. 

"All of our players worked hard to get where we are and hopefully the qualifiers will step up and compete tomorrow," Spittler said.

The races at the MIAA championships will resume at 10 a.m. today in Jenison, Mich.

Contact D. H. Kim at dkim16@nd.edu