-

-

SMC Swimming and Diving: Belles head to conference meet

Meredith Kelly | Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Saint Mary’s will complete their season and look to place highly this weekend at the annual MIAA championships in Jenison, Mich.

Although this season proved to be a rocky one for the Belles (1-5), they will be going into the conference championships off a victory. Saint Mary’s 153-105 win over Olivet on Feb. 2, their first of the season, has already helped the Belles refocus in practice.

“We have had a good week practicing, and we are definitely looking to place,” senior captain Genevieve Spittler said. “We are looking to come in fourth overall.”

Top performers to watch during the MIAA meet are freshman diver Andrea Canacci, who won both the 1- and 2-meter dive events at the Olivet meet, and freshman Carolyn Neville, who is competing in the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard freestyle. Other members who have been strong all season are sophomore Anna Nolan in the 50-yard freestyle and Ellie Watson in the 500-yard freestyle.

The MIAA champion is determined solely on the basis of results at the MIAA championships. Top contenders for the title include Calvin (6-0), the 2011 MIAA champion Hope (5-1) and Kalamazoo (4-1).

Spittler said she expects stiff competition from the rest of the field, but that the Belles will put their all into this final meet.