-

-

Staff Oscars Picks

Scene Staff | Thursday, February 21, 2013

Best Picture:

Will likely win: Argo

Argo is considered the frontrunner of the category after its numerous award wins, not to mention it is an extremely entertaining and well-executed movie. Unless you think the Academy wants to go for yet another biopic like “Lincoln” to take the win (which is certainly a strong possibility), then this film is probably your best bet.

Should win: Zero Dark Thirty

Like the “Social Network,” “Zero Dark Thirty” is a film that defines a major part of our generation. It’s controversial and criticized for its alleged inaccuracies, but the film’s intensity, acting and heart-pounding storyline from start to finish make this, in our opinion, the best film of the year.

Best Director:

Will likely win: Steven Spielberg – Lincoln

It’s not just because everyone loves Spielberg (even though his film “War Horse” didn’t win a single Oscar last year), but more so because he recreated a crucial part of American history – filled with speeches and political debates – in a movie both accurate and enjoyable (for a biopic).

Should win: Ang Lee – Life of Pi

While it’s not considered a frontrunner for best picture, you can’t ignore the fact that Ang Lee made a supposedly  “unfilmable” movie into an Oscar-worthy film. It also helps his chances that Ben Affleck (“Argo”) and Kathryn Bigelow (“Zero Dark Thirty”) weren’t even nominated in this category.

Best Actor:

Will likely win: Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln

While no man has ever won an Oscar for portraying a president, this guy knocked it out of the park. Daniel Day-Lewis took on the role of the most renowned and beloved president in history: a man who both abolished slavery. Sure, he’s won two Oscars already, but the guy crafted his own unique Lincoln that was historically accurate rather than traditional. He is “the” Daniel Day-Lewis, so cower in fear, other nominees.

Should win: Joaquin Phoenix – The Master

It’s unfortunate that Daniel Day-Lewis and Joaquin Phoenix made such incredible movies in the same year. Daniel Day-Lewis is an undeniably incredible actor, and may take the Oscar, but Phoenix’s commitment to his role in this movie was amazing. We had chills throughout the entire movie because of the intensity Phoenix brought to the screen.

Best Actress:

Will likely win/should win : Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook

She delivered a multi-layered, witty and emotionally powerful performance that would have fell flat with most other actresses. Her role has earned her both a Screen Actors Guild award and a Golden Globe. It’s going to be a tough race competing against the outstanding Jessica Chastain, but if she can beat Robert De Niro in a screaming match, Lawrence can take down anyone.

Best Supporting Actor:

Will likely win/should win: Robert de Niro – Silver Linings Playbook

In a category comprised entirely of past Oscar winners who all gave great performances, it’s really anyone’s game. But De Niro delivered a heaping dose of both charm and raw emotion to his role. Not only has he not won an Oscar in 32 years, but he also hasn’t even been nominated in 21 years. He’s overdue and deserves this year’s Oscar. 

Best Supporting Actress:

Will likely win/should win: Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables

If you haven’t heard it a thousand times already, Anne Hathaway rocked this 20-minute role like a champ. Let’s just give her the Oscar already.

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Will likely win/should win: Lincoln

The fast-paced dialogue and lengthy monologues in Lincoln should earn the film the Oscar for best adapted screenplay. Tony Kushner’s storyline relies upon more than a decade’s worth of historical research, and Daniel Day-Lewis uses every detail of the script down to speech cadence and word choice to bring to life one of America’s greatest orators.

Best Animated Feature:

Will likely win: Wreck-It Ralph

It won the Annie Award for best picture, and while that’s not a guaranteed victory at the Oscars (“Kung Fu Panda” beat Oscar winner “WALL-E” for that award) it certainly helps. One can certainly argue it’s not the best film of the category, but it’s still a great, funny and charming movie that has the passionate supporters and awards to guide it to the Oscar win.

Should win: Frankenweenie

It’s a love letter to classic horror/monster genre and seems to be one of Tim Burton’s favorite pet projects. Burton has never won an Oscar before and this humorous, dark and heartfelt animated film could finally be what earns him his time of recognition. To put it simply, it’s a great film with a great director who’s due for a win.