Students ready for Mad event

Though the weather remains cold, Saint Mary's students can look forward to heating up the competition between classes as the annual Midnight Madness approaches.

Midnight Madness, to be held Feb. 28, pits each class against each other in a night of minute-to-win-it games and a student and faculty dodgeball game that earn points for each class. At the end of the night, the class with the most points wins a pizza party and bragging rights.

The Student Activities Board (SAB) Traditional Events Committee is coordinating this year's Midnight Madness.

"We really hope that students will gain a sense of bonding with their classmates and engage in some friendly competition," senior committee member Megan Kloc said. "Most of all, we hope they continue to show pride in our school."

Kloc is the only member of the Traditional Events Committee that has previous experience planning Midnight Madness. In the past, the athletics department sponsored Midnight Madness, but Student Activities took over in 2011 in an attempt to revive the annual event.

"I have been lending my expertise on how to run the event and how to improve it from previous years," Kloc said. "Midnight Madness is an event that was popular many years ago and was revived so that a new generation of students could enjoy it as much as alumnae have in the past."

Liz Robbins, co-chair of the SAB Traditional Events Committee, said the night will feature a DJ, guest student emcee and a performance by Saint Mary's cheerleaders. Representatives from each class will be picked to compete in the different games throughout the night to win points and prizes for their class.

"At the end of the night, students will learn who the top-secret artist is for this year's Tostal," Robbins said.

Robbins hopes students will find themselves united amongst classes as well as one student body, she said. Students should each wear their class colors to the event - purple for freshman, pink for sophomores, green for juniors and blue for seniors.

"There will also be face paint provided for girls to enhance their class spirit during the event," Kloc said. "Come decked out in your class colors and show support for your year."

During the week of Midnight Madness, Robbins said students should look out for pre-event games in the dining halls, which will provide an opportunity to earn points in advance.

Midnight Madness will be held Feb. 28 at 9:30 p.m. in the Angela Athletic Facility.