-

-

Track and Field: Irish take several events at Meyo

Laura Coletti | Monday, February 4, 2013

The Irish claimed several impressive finishes at the 26th annual Meyo Invitational this weekend at Loftus Sports Center.

The meet drew a field of nearly 50 schools from a range of conferences. Notre Dame senior captain and pole vaulter Chrissy Finkel said all of the schools that compete enjoy the Meyo Invitational because of the meet’s atmosphere.

“This is the most important meet of the season that we host at home,” she said. “Students and the community come out to cheer, and the level of competition is much higher than anything we’ve faced during the year.”

On the women’s side, senior Rebecca Tracy placed first in the famed Meyo Mile. 

For the men, junior middle-distance runner Walter Schafer won his 3,000-meter event, and junior sprinter Patrick Feeney took first in the 400-meter event. Feeney’s time in the event currently ranks second nationally. 

“To see those Notre Dame names in the top 20, 10 and even 5 in the country is an unbelievable thing,” Finkel said.

Graduate student pole vaulter Ann Polcari also took first in the pole vault event, breaking her personal record by eight inches.

“It was very exciting for Ann,” Finkel said. “A few years ago, she blew out her knee pole vaulting, so to see her do that well was unbelievable.”

Junior sprinter Megan Yanik and freshman distance runner Michael Clevenger rounded out the Irish victors, with Yanik winning the 500-meter event and Clevenger winning the 5,000-meter.

“Because the competition is so great, every winner or top finisher we had was huge,” Finkel said. “It was really exciting to see how we spanned across a number of different events.”

The Irish will travel to Allendale, Mich., for the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational this upcoming weekend.

Contact Laura Coletti at lcoletti@nd.edu