An editor's farewell

I've been lucky enough to have had an eventful term as Editor-in-Chief, a term which ends with this edition of the paper. There's been a fruitful debate over LGBTQ rights on campus and a football season unlike any other in a long and proud tradition. There's been a presidential election, and we've marked the 40th year of coeducation at Notre Dame. When I reflect on these stories and so many more, I'm struck by one thought: Stories matter.
Over the last year, our best stories have put faces on events. They've added voices to debates. They've brought forth the impact an administrative policy can have on real people.
That's what journalism is supposed to do - tell stories. Stories will never go away, and that's why journalism will never go away. It might look different years from now, but it'll still be telling stories. That's our job.
The countless stories of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's communities have been my driving force for the last year. They've been both complex and simple, national and local, uplifting and saddening. Through it all, they've been the best part of my job, and they're what I'll miss the most when I hand my office over.
On Monday, you'll hear from our incoming Editor-in-Chief. He's got big plans for his term, and he's got an immensely talented group of leaders behind him. As for our crop of editors, I'm proud to say we accomplished many of our own lofty goals - this new design, for one - but left more for the next group of leaders. Yet while each spring new editors begin to change, tweak and improve The Observer, one thing will never change: We'll keep telling stories.
There are so many untold stories behind the stories you read, and many of them took place in our newsroom. Countless people have made our storytelling possible. To Deb, Megan, Andrew, Sam and the rest of the staff, thank you. It's been an absolute thrill working with you.
Thanks to the people who helped me write my own story. From my family to the editors who came before me, from Emily to the roommates who kept me sane, thank you too. I'll have a lot more free time to spend with you next week. I promise.
And most of all, thanks to you, the reader. Thanks for looking to us for coverage of an eventful year on campus and around the world. Thanks for picking us up every day, whether in the dining hall or online from somewhere around the world. And thanks for reading our stories.
The Observer will always tell those stories - your stories.
Because stories matter, and they always will.

Contact Allan Joseph at ajoseph2@nd.edu
The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.